identifying device drivers

Post by Jimb » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Is there a way to identify what type of drivers are? i.e.; i go to /devices
and do an ls -R and see stuff like

is there somewhere i can do look on the system and can help me identify what
type of drivers these are?

regards

identifying device drivers

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Sun, 23 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>Is there a way to identify what type of drivers are? i.e.; i go to /devices
>and do an ls -R and see stuff like

>is there somewhere i can do look on the system and can help me identify what
>type of drivers these are?

Yes, the major numbers in "ls -l" output map to numbers in
/etc/name_to_major; and that will give you the device driver name.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Device driver calling another device driver.

Hi.

I am having a problem writing a "meta-driver", ie one that is sandwiched
between the kernel and a real device driver. The platform I am using
consists of a Sun IPC, running SunOS 4.1.1.

My problem is that in attempting to use the OPEN(2V) system call from within
the "xxopen" routine of my metadriver (to open another device-driver (which
then opens the device)); OPEN(2V) "fails".

It appears that calling OPEN(2V) from within the kernel requires a different
calling sequence and argument list. Viz-a-viz: instead of a file descriptor
being returned by OPEN(2V), it seems a pointer is returned (which itself is
a pointer to something else).

Is this true? Is the OPEN(2V) syscall different for a process executing in
user address space, compared to the OPEN call executed by a process running
in kernel mode/address space?

If this is true for OPEN, what about CLOSE, READ, WRITE, etc? Unfortunately,
I don't have (easy) access to any Unix (source) code, to verify this.

Thanks in advance for help/advice.

2. SLIP: can ping but can't telnet

3. Device driver question (generic device driver)

4. Nothing Compiles

5. Identifying Backup Devices

6. LAN wires too thin; how to kick-start network when it goes down?

7. Identifying network devices

8. How to turn off: inetd shell/tcp server failing (looping or being flooded) protection?

9. Identify IDE device?

10. How to identify a Tape device

11. how to identify Hardware and their device files.

12. please help identifying device

13. Newbie Question - How To Identify Physical Devices