Ghost Script & print filters - HELP!!

Post by Mark Case » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Can someone help me with the Command: option in a filter file, using
ghost script. More for how you set the ghostscript options to handle the
file you are trying to print.

I can do it at the command line with

BUT would like to know how to alter it, to work within a print filter

Regards

Mark Casey              Unix Admin & Support
Proser Limited          Tel 0966 411910 Fax 07970 432472

Ghost Script & print filters - HELP!!

Post by Frank Ha » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 20:57:43 +0000, Mark Casey

>Can someone help me with the Command: option in a filter file, using
>ghost script. More for how you set the ghostscript options to handle the
>file you are trying to print.

>I can do it at the command line with

>BUT would like to know how to alter it, to work within a print filter

A web site to take a look at if you have not already is:

http://cfauvcs5.harvard.edu/SetGSprinter4Solaris.html

This describes how to install a print filter using Ghostscript with
a parallel port on a couple of Sun computers.

Here are some directions I sent to someone else several weeks ago.
These are the directions I gave trying to answer this persons specific
question.  They may need to be modified for your needs.  If they work,
great, if not, you get to keep the pieces.  This is what I have basically
done on a Sparc Solaris 2.4 system.

In this instance, I'm printing to an HP 3-port external print server.
One of the printers is an HP IIP laserjet.  It is the only one I print
Postscript to.

===================Perform at your own risk==========================

1.  Here is my filter script.  I placed this in /usr/lib/lp/bin and
called it printps.

#!/bin/csh
#
/opt/gs/bin/gs -q -sDEVICE=ljet2p -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- -

Obviously, you need to edit this file and use the correct path to
your gs binary.  Don't include the dashes.  I put them there to
separate the contents.  Also, change the permissions and ownerships
to match other files in the above directory.

2. You will also need to add a filter description file using the lpfilter
command.  I called my file pcl.fd and placed it in the /etc/lp/fd
directory.  My description file had the following:

Input types: postscript
Output types: PCL
Printer types: any
Printers: any
Filter type: slow
Command: /usr/lib/lp/bin/printps

I called this file pcl.fd.  The same applies as above.  You will
need to set the permissions and ownerships as the other files.

I think you can then issue the following command:

/usr/sbin/lpfilter -f pcl -F /etc/lp/fd/pcl.fd

This should get the filter description into the /etc/lp/filter table.
I think part of the trick is to have the "Output types: PCL" different
than anything else in this file.

I would go back and carefully edit your /etc/lp/filter.table file and
remove your previous filter description information that you added
previously.

3.  I think you should then be able to do something like the following:

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p hpps -v /dev/bpp0 -I PCL
enable hpps
accept hpps

I'm not sure about the /dev/bpp0 but that would make sense to me
because you want your output to go to your parallel port.  I'm assuming
/dev/bpp0 is a parallel port.  Like I mentioned above, I don't have any
Sun computers using a parallel port.  I have used /dev/null on my systems
but I think that is because the printers that I'm using are remote.

Anyhow, try working through the above and see what happens.  Like I
said, it looks as if you are getting Postscript out which means the
filter is not working.

I will also state that I am by no means an expert.  It took me about
three weeks or so to get this working the first time.  This has worked for
me but I cannot guarantee it will work for you.  If something breaks, you
get to keep both pieces.

Hope any of this helps.

--
Frank Hahn

Ghost Script & print filters - HELP!!

Post by Clarence Wilkers » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

You might want to look at

http://cfauvcs5.harvard.edu/SetGSprinter4Solaris.html

That's one way. There are others.....
--
Clarence Wilkerson      \ HomePage:     http://www.math.purdue.edu/~wilker

Dept. of Mathematics      \ Messages:   (765) 494-1903, FAX 494-0548
Purdue University,         \
W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1395 \

Post by Jeffrey Baile » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Can someone help me with the Command: option in a filter file, using
> ghost script. More for how you set the ghostscript options to handle the
> file you are trying to print.

> I can do it at the command line with

> BUT would like to know how to alter it, to work within a print filter

> Regards

> Mark Casey              Unix Admin & Support
> Proser Limited          Tel 0966 411910 Fax 07970 432472

Check http://cfauvcs5.harvard.edu/SetGSprinter4Solaris.html#stcolor for
use with Solaris 2.6.
--
Jeff Bailey                             370 ARL
(814-)865-3259                          PO Box 30

Will work for project numbers or food.

1. Ghost print job prevents printing

RH6.1
Everytime I print, I have to delete the previous job before the new
one is sent to the printer. The "ghost job" always has a size of 0
bytes:

Homer: Warning: no daemon present
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total
Size
1st    root       106  (standard input)                      0 bytes
JetDirect lpd: no entries

Why doesn't it get deleted automatically? Does it have anything to do
with the "Warning: no daemon present"? ps ax|grep lpd reveals the
following:

26805 ?        S      0:00 lpd

So, there is a deamon running.

Can someone help?

TIA,

Clem.

2. ifconfig modifies routing table

3. HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING

4. una prueba

5. printing with a shell script as a filter

6. which NFS packet size?

7. pppd 2.3.5 & demand & pass-filter help

8. Netscape Communicator 4B3 Setup

9. North Ghost & Red Hat 7.3 Help!

10. Please Help: print script to mail PS documents instead of print

11. "ghost"/dupe SCSI disk alternative to Ghost?

12. remote printing - print filters never being called?

13. Remote Printing and Print Filters