implementation of ramdisk(tmpfs) in solaris

implementation of ramdisk(tmpfs) in solaris

Post by Nitesh Malhotr » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I want to implement ramdisk ( tmpfs ) in solaris. I am not able to find
any information regarding that as how to do it.
thanks in advance.

Nitesh

Post by Roland Titz » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I want to implement ramdisk ( tmpfs ) in solaris. I am not able to find
> any information regarding that as how to do it.
> thanks in advance.

Why you want implement a thing that does already exist?
See "man tmpfs" for details.
--

Regards/MfG
Roland Titze

Post by Andrei Ivan » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I want to implement ramdisk ( tmpfs ) in solaris. I am not able to find
> any information regarding that as how to do it.

  # mkdir /mount-point
  # mount -F tmpfs swap /mount-point

--
andrei

1. ramdisk vs. tmpfs

Is there any performance difference between ramdisk vs. tmpfs on SPARC
Solaris9 and 10 ? ... with the context of possibly using as storage for
some part of temporary databases for RDBMs ( ASE, Oracle, etc. )

1) Raw partition on ramdisk vs.
2) ufs partition on ramdisk vs.
3) tmpfs

One "issue" that I have with using tmpfs for temporary databases is that the
RDBMS already have internal caches, and by using tmpfs, I am essentially
buffering the temp objects thrice (??) .... once in the RDBM's cache, and
the other in Solari's filesystem cache ( assuming Solaris buffers tmpfs
read/writes), and the other in the actual memory used by tmpfs.

By using raw partitions on ramdisk, I am essentially buffering the data
twice only ... once in the RDBM's cache, and the other in the actual memory
used by the ramdisk.

Of course, these are all just theory .... was wondering about first-hand
experience out there using the 3 scenarios above for RDBMS's temporary
databases.

2. Serial ATA driver for 2.4.18.

3. Ramdisks and tmpfs problems

4. Linux for NEC VR4181

5. Simulating a RAMDISK/TMPFS on Aix

6. SOCK_PACKET support - where is it? (kernel option)

7. ramdisk/tmpfs/ramfs/memfs ?

8. flickering X grey scan during KDE startup

9. tmpfs: [ID 610955 kern.warning] WARNING: tmp_memalloc: tmpfs over memory limit

10. tmpfs & mmap oddity on Solaris 2.2 and 2.3

11. Solaris x86: Bug in scheduler or tmpfs?

12. PANIC: solaris 8 lofi on tmpfs

13. Problems with tmpfs under Sparc Solaris 2.6