Veritas File System for Solaris

Post by Dan Schmit » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Within HP-UX, the Veritas File System appears to be the * file system
- beating out the HP-UX file system by greater than 60% market share.
Is this the same within the Solaris community...Is the most popular file
system, the Veritas File System.

And is this because it allows you the 'snapshot' feature to handle open
files during backup(supporting all major backup products and backing up all
applications in a transactionally complete state).

Many Thanks for any responses.
I'm trying to determine if there is a need for an Open File Manager for
backup within the Solaris operating environment.

Dan Schmitt
Product Manager
Open File Manager
St. Bernard Software

 Before you buy.

Post by Paul Egge » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>Within HP-UX, the Veritas File System appears to be the * file system
>- beating out the HP-UX file system by greater than 60% market share.
>Is this the same within the Solaris community...

I don't know of any reliable figures, but I'd say VFS has a much
smaller market share in the Solaris world.

Quote:>And is this because it allows you the 'snapshot' feature

Sun supports snapshots as of about two weeks ago.
See the ``Sun StorEdge Instant Image'' package described at:
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Isn't competition wonderful?