Solaris 2.5 PPP dynamic ip

Post by Geraldo Vei » Tue, 05 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Has anyone setup Solaris 2.5 to use PPP to a terminal
>server (not a Solaris PPP dialin server), and then accept and
>use a dynamically assigned ip address assigned from the terminal
>server.  Sun said this functionality would be present in 2.5 but
>the doc looks like the same old stuff.

In defense of 2.5, it is there in the aspppd man page:

     negotiate_address ( on | off )
                Indicates whether or not local IP address  assign-
                ment  is obtained through negotiation and assigned
                dynamically. If enabled, the local address will be
                obtained  from  the remote end of the PPP link. If
                so obtained, any local address other than 0.0.0.0
                can  be used to initially configure the interface.
                The default is to negotiate (on).

Still, shoudn't they have written some kind of ppptool to go
with aspppd?
--

    Room 2C-429A
    101 Crawfords Corner Road

Solaris 2.5 PPP dynamic ip

Post by Bryan Altha » Tue, 05 Mar 1996 04:00:00

[...]

It blows my mind that with all the posts for the last year with
people having trouble setting up PPP on Solaris, Web pages setup
just to help out etc. that Solaris 2.5 comes with no GUI or
curses based setup program.

After reading the how-to's on settting up PPP on Solaris
for both client & server, I will be needing the help of a friend
who's up on PPP (too many steps to mess up;), yet my NT friends just
click on their RAS GUI and there of and running.  Worse.  These NT people
are connecting to internet providers running Solaris!

Oh well, I guess things never change in the UNIX world. :(

1. Solaris 2.5 PPP / Dynamic IP / Routing Issues

I am using Solaris 2.5's PPP to connect to my Internet provider's
Livingston Portmaster router. In order to support the dynamic
address assignment, I am using the "negotiate_address on" option.
This works just fine.  Both ends of the plumbed connection are
assigned addresses by the Portmaster.  I then use the
"default_route" option to have aspppd assign this path as the
default route when the connection is up.

Things are not perfect however.  The default route mechanism does
not do what I want.  The ideal situation is that a default route
exists that will automatically bring up the link as required.  If
I place an entry in /etc/defaultrouter I can bring up the link
automatically just once.  Unfortunately, the default route aspppd
configures *adds* a second default route and then removes it once
the link drops.  Furthermore, the plumbing established via ifconfig
now has a new set of IP addresses that breaks the previously
established default route.

Does anyone know of any tricks that can be employed to resolve this
problem?  Perhaps some tweaks in the /etc/networks & /etc/gateways
files?

Is it possible to set up a route based on interface name rather than
IP address?  This would seem to be the answer to my problem.

Thanks,

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn

2. Screen flicker with OSR5 and #9 graphics

3. Dynamic Dialin Solaris 2.5 PPP?

4. netgear ma311 recognized but not working on Debian testing

5. solaris 2.5 and PPP using dynamic addressing

6. Stoopid question...

7. IP-in-IP tunnel configuration between to Solaris 2.5 SPARCstations

8. How to spoof my IP address in a UDP packet?

9. Dynamic PPP Client Routing Setup and Sol 2.5

10. Dynamic PPP setup FAQ for 2.5 X86 where ?

11. Connecting Win 95 PPP to Solaris 2.5 PPP

12. Can Solaris PPP use dynamic IP

13. Solaris 2.4 x86 PPP and dynamic IP