Solaris slicing suggestion for setting a database server

Solaris slicing suggestion for setting a database server

Post by Wade C » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 13:56:51

Hi All,
I am setting up a new database server with Sybase. I am using Solaris
8 on a Sun Netra server. It has two 18 GB hard drives and 512 MB ram.
I need suggestion how to setup the slicing for disks when I install
the OS. I am setting swap to 2 GB. Setting root 500 MB, software 4 GB,
opt 4 GB, var 4GB, rest to export/home. The second 18 GB drive will
have only sybase raw devices. Only problem I have is this box do not
have a tape drive attached to it. So I have use a remote tape device
to use as a sybase dump. Is it possible to do? Your suggestion /
recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

wade chy

Post by Anthony Mandi » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 20:58:53

> If Sybase has remote raw partition capability or utility, great.  Doing
> a dd|ssh "remote tape device" is questionable.

        Doing a dd is questionable with Sybase.

Quote:> Don't have much experience with raw partitions.

        That comes as no surprise.

Quote:> Why not run with filesystems?

        Why run them?

Quote:> They'er easier to backup,

        Not really.

Quote:> monitor for space and utilization using the standard UNIX toolset,

        If I was anything like Guy Polis, I'd be laughing at you in
        histrionics now. This comment is meaning less with Sybase.
        You allocate its devices and it uses the space within them.
        They don't grow by themselves.

Quote:> and I've not seen that you don't really get that much of a
> performance gain with raw filesystems.  That, admittedly, was with
> Oracle, but think about how you're going to monitor and backup this
> system.  Have you got existing tools or are you going to have to write
> them?

        Sybase has a backup server. And comparing Sybase to Orable
        is akin to the proverbial apples and oranges.

Quote:> Also, unless you have a tape robot and commercial backup software that's
> going to do the backups, slice the Sybase disk into partitions that will
> fit on a single tape.  Multi-volume raw partition backups are really
> very hard to do.

        What are you talking about? This is totally meaningless in
        the context of Sybase.

Quote:> Since most backups are done with the filesystem tools rather as a raw
> partition dump, I would suspect NOT.  If this system has important data
> and needs backups, BUY A TAPE DRIVE.

        Sybase's backup server supports remote backups and restores.

Quote:> Or perhaps the data isn't worth it?

        Doesn't look like your reply was.

Quote:> Do you feel lucky?  Well, do you?

        Looks like you were out of luck on every point.

Quote:> If this system is of any importance, don't be cheap when it comes to backups.

        Having a clue would be a more worthwhile start.

Quote:> A sysadmin is only as good as their last backup...

        Better start checking yours then.

-am     ? 2002

1. How do I create a database slice on Solaris 8?

When doing a Solaris 7 install I can create an unnamed slice, which
Solaris
seems to ignore.  I can then use this slice as storage space for
database
programs that have their own filesystems.  But the Solaris 8 installer
won't
let me create an unnamed slice, and when I name the slice it is
treated as a
normal UFS slice.  How can I get Solaris 8 to reserve a section of the
disk for database programs?

Thanks for your help.

--- Brian

2. Determining Process Run Time

3. Suggestions for databases on Solaris

4. VPN setup with linux box(ipchain + ipmasquerade)

5. Determining Slices for Solaris Web Server

6. large mem + 2 NIC problem

7. Questions about DiskSuite state database replica and slices config.

8. Change booting from SCSI to IDE?

9. run metadb against previously configured state database slices

10. Suggestions for setting up POP or IMAP server...

11. Asking suggestions for setting up Proxy server

12. ANy Suggestions for setting up a WWW Server?

13. Setting up my own proxy server on Linux... any suggestions?