Very slow upgrade with Solaris Nevada x86

Very slow upgrade with Solaris Nevada x86

Post by Gary Mill » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 03:30:13

I'm just upgrading an old Dell machine from build 17 to build 20
of Solaris Nevada.  It's going very slowly.  The same thing happened
before when I upgraded it to build 17.  It seemed to remove all of
the packages and then reinstall them.  The whole upgrade took about
24 hours.  Is this normal behavior, or am I doing something wrong?

--
-Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

Post by Dragan Cvetkovi » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 03:36:17

> I'm just upgrading an old Dell machine from build 17 to build 20
> of Solaris Nevada.  It's going very slowly.  The same thing happened
> before when I upgraded it to build 17.  It seemed to remove all of
> the packages and then reinstall them.  The whole upgrade took about
> 24 hours.  Is this normal behavior, or am I doing something wrong?

Gary, are you doing a network upgrade? I have had a similar problem on my
machine before (with the upgrade taking ages) which was traced back to
misconfigured NIC and lot of retransmitions etc etc. If you are using a
network install, can you check if

        kstat -c net

or
        kstat -m 'your NIC here'

give some errors.

If you are not using network upgrade, please describe the machine (CPU,
memory, disks). On my Dell here (1GHz P3 with 512MB RAM), an upgrade takes
not more than 2-3 hours.

Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer

Very slow upgrade with Solaris Nevada x86

Post by Michael Laajane » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 05:06:48

HI,

> I'm just upgrading an old Dell machine from build 17 to build 20
> of Solaris Nevada.  It's going very slowly.  The same thing happened
> before when I upgraded it to build 17.  It seemed to remove all of
> the packages and then reinstall them.  The whole upgrade took about
> 24 hours.  Is this normal behavior, or am I doing something wrong?

Just a question regarding dowmload of Solaris nevada, I just downloaded
from the site I thought was the latest build 19( 8/05)! where is build 20?

I am on a Soalris Express subscrition program and follows a link I
received after payed the $99.

cheers

Michael

Post by Gary Mill » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 05:08:33

>> I'm just upgrading an old Dell machine from build 17 to build 20
>> of Solaris Nevada.  It's going very slowly.  The same thing happened
>> before when I upgraded it to build 17.  It seemed to remove all of
>> the packages and then reinstall them.  The whole upgrade took about
>> 24 hours.  Is this normal behavior, or am I doing something wrong?
>If you are not using network upgrade, please describe the machine (CPU,
>memory, disks). On my Dell here (1GHz P3 with 512MB RAM), an upgrade takes
>not more than 2-3 hours.

I'm installing from a local DVD drive, using four CDs.  The first one
takes most of the time.  Just now, it's on the blue screen that says
`Removing package: ...'.  The progress bar is at about 10%.  It's been
running for 5 or 6 hours now.  The machine is a Dell WS-400 with a
300 MHz CPU, 640 megs of memory, and two internal SCSI disks.  I can
hear lots of disk activity.  I assume the problem is that it's just
doing too much work.

--

Post by Gary Mill » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 05:33:35

>> I'm just upgrading an old Dell machine from build 17 to build 20
>> of Solaris Nevada.
>Just a question regarding dowmload of Solaris nevada, I just downloaded
>from the site I thought was the latest build 19( 8/05)! where is build 20?
>I am on a Soalris Express subscrition program and follows a link I
>received after payed the $99.

I downloaded the free Solaris Express 8/05 version yesterday and
got build 20.  At least, the file names said that, and the boot
banner also did.

--
-Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

Very slow upgrade with Solaris Nevada x86

Post by Michael Laajane » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:26:23

HI,

>>>I'm just upgrading an old Dell machine from build 17 to build 20
>>>of Solaris Nevada.

>>Just a question regarding dowmload of Solaris nevada, I just downloaded

>>from the site I thought was the latest build 19( 8/05)! where is build 20?

>>I am on a Soalris Express subscrition program and follows a link I
>>received after payed the $99.

> I downloaded the free Solaris Express 8/05 version yesterday and
> got build 20.  At least, the file names said that, and the boot
> banner also did.

Thats very strange, I downloaded it Aug 24 16:51 from the "payed site"!!

/proj/download/solaris_express/0805/sol-nv-b19-sparc-v1.iso

And below is from the open just now!

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/solaris-express/get.jsp

  Solaris Express 8/05, CD 1, English           sol-nv-b19-sparc-v1-iso.zip
360.73 MB

Any clue whats up?

cheers

Michael

Very slow upgrade with Solaris Nevada x86

Post by John D Groenve » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:12:47

Quote:>Any clue whats up?

As you could guess, B20 was withdrawn and replaced with B19.
<URL:http://blogs.sun.com/roller/comments/dp/Weblog/what_s_new_in_solaris8...>

I haven't yet seen an explanation.

John

Post by Stuart Bigga » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:35:34

> I'm just upgrading an old Dell machine from build 17 to build 20
> of Solaris Nevada.  It's going very slowly.  The same thing happened
> before when I upgraded it to build 17.  It seemed to remove all of
> the packages and then reinstall them.  The whole upgrade took about
> 24 hours.  Is this normal behavior, or am I doing something wrong?

This morning I did a full "upgrade" from -b19 to -b20 on an older
IBM A21p notebook (P3 850 MHz, 512 MB RAM, DVD-ROM, 4200 RPM
30 GB notebook drive).  It took about 3 hours with lots of time
spent removing packages during the first CD install.  After that,
it rebooted, asked which xserver to use (I selected Xorg), and
then it went into the GUI even though I had started with a text
install.  It installed the 2nd CD but I couldn't continue until
I exited the GUI and logged in on the console.  Then I could answer
the prompts to continue, etc.  It finished installing the other two
CDs and rebooted OK shortly after I left for work.  It was running
at the login screen when I got home.

Stuart

PS - did an upgrade as I didn't wish to reinstall compilers and
reconfigure xorg (I have to use a custom edited file with -b19
and lower), etc.  I don't have too much space on the drive and
I couldn't live upgrade from Solaris 10 GA previously so I haven't
tried that yet from one version of Nevada to another ...

Very slow upgrade with Solaris Nevada x86

Post by Michael Laajane » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:43:34

HI,

>>Any clue whats up?

> As you could guess, B20 was withdrawn and replaced with B19.
> <URL:http://blogs.sun.com/roller/comments/dp/Weblog/what_s_new_in_solaris8...>

Puhh, thats somehow nice since I had just finnised burning the CD's :)

Thanks

Michael

Post by Dragan Cvetkovi » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:49:00

> HI,

>>>Any clue whats up?
>> As you could guess, B20 was withdrawn and replaced with B19.
>> <URL:http://blogs.sun.com/roller/comments/dp/Weblog/what_s_new_in_solaris8...>
> Puhh, thats somehow nice since I had just finnised burning the CD's :)

Any particular reason for burning CDs? CD1 is all you need to burn (unless
you are doing a netinstall in which case there is no need to burn any CD),
unless you do an initial install (with complete wipe of your HD) or if you
are short on disk space for ISOs.

Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer

Very slow upgrade with Solaris Nevada x86

Post by Michael Laajane » Sat, 27 Aug 2005 01:57:15

HI,

>>>Puhh, thats somehow nice since I had just finnised burning the CD's :)

> Any particular reason for burning CDs? CD1 is all you need to burn (unless
> you are doing a netinstall in which case there is no need to burn any CD),
> unless you do an initial install (with complete wipe of your HD) or if you
> are short on disk space for ISOs.

No really good reason, but I have never done a Solaris netinstall, it's
probably about time for that since I only have some 10-15 boxes I though
it was not worth the time to setup a jumpstart but it is maybe easier
than I think... or?

cheers

Michael

1. Can't boot Nevada 18 Cd Disk 1 and Solaris Grub question

I'm using an Athlon 1GHz machine which boots Solaris GA no problem but
when I try to boot anything with the new boot (Grub) architecture the CD
fails on boot.

It gets through the Grub menu and boots "Solaris" then it gets to the
module /boot/x86.miniboot line - it seems to process it ok

Next it does a clear screen and goes to the next screen

SunOS Release 5.11 Version snv_18 32-bit
Copyright 1983-2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.

After this all I get is a flashing cursor. The CD seems to read
continuously but nothing happens after that point.

This same CD worked fine on another machine. I tried 2 different CDRom's
in the machine with no difference in the results.

I've tried both Solaris Nevada 18 as well as the latest Solaris Express
07/05 and again - got the same results.

I had to go back to Solaris GA but would like to get a newer version
working.

Anyone have any ideas or know of any workarounds?

I also tried to use the CD to boot Grub and run the boot net with a
Solaris boot/install server to see if I could get any different results
but when I exit grub to command line mode and type ifconfig - I get:

grub> ifconfig
Probing pci nic ...
[UNDI]
No Ethernet card found

Error 12: Invalid device requested

Does the Solaris boot CD only detect certain NIC drivers? and how can I
recompile it so it has a particular driver (3Com 3c905 or elxl0)

Thanks for any help....

Scott

2. Does anyone have a clue how to configure an ATI Rage 3d pro lt AGP for

3. Solaris Nevada on E4000 with 167MHz CPUs

4. How do you assassinate a pesky process?

5. SVOSUG - "What is Solaris Nevada?", 03/23 7:30pm-10:00pm

6. SLIP/PPP software - help needed

7. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

8. Setting the time parameter ???

9. Slow networking with Solaris 7 x86?

10. Solaris x86 v2.4 very slow

11. ppp slow on Solaris x86

12. Solaris x86 or not to Solaris x86?

13. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc