sar Question (probably a newbie question)

sar Question (probably a newbie question)

Post by Bart Hampshir » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Using sar to monitor system performance statistics and the "Answer Book"
says that when the value of pgscan/s is high, it might indicate that
more RAM is required.  My question is... how high is high?  (why is
water wet? if a tree...)

Background
Enterprise 5000 w/ 4 processors and 1GB RAM.  Progress and DB2 databases
running.

Thanks,
Bart

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>Using sar to monitor system performance statistics and the "Answer Book"
>says that when the value of pgscan/s is high, it might indicate that
>more RAM is required.  My question is... how high is high?  (why is
>water wet? if a tree...)

go get and install virtual adrian, aka "Symbel", from www.sun.com

The word of the day is mispergitude

sar Question (probably a newbie question)

Post by hwk.. » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

It is hard to pin some of these things down, as you indicate ("how high
is high").  Sometimes Sun helps, sometimes they are afraid to commit to
any threshold and thus not too much help.

Sun personnel previously told me that for pgscan/s, sustained rates over
200 indicate adding memory is indicated.

By "sustained" they indicated that if the parameter is consistently at
or above 200 for a period of say 5 minutes or more if you are looking at
vmstat.

Quote:> Using sar to monitor system performance statistics and the "Answer
Book"
> says that when the value of pgscan/s is high, it might indicate that
> more RAM is required.  My question is... how high is high?  (why is
> water wet? if a tree...)

> Background
> Enterprise 5000 w/ 4 processors and 1GB RAM.  Progress and DB2
databases
> running.

> Thanks,
> Bart

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Probably simple newbie question

Hi all,

The past few months I have been doing some C programming.. but mainly
stuff
thats runs on the console.. no fancy graphics yet or anything.. Could
anyone
tell me in a few words how to simply display a jpeg or gif image on the
console display? (Running X11R6)..
I checked some other programs that show images, but most of them are
quite complicated
to understand what exactly is going on.. anyone can help me a little?

Alex

--
www.icepick.com - A hyperwired house with 9 webcams!
NEW! http://mobile.icepick.com - Optimized pages

2. Add Locales question

3. Probably a newbie memory question

4. v1.4.0 of the slang programmer's library released

5. Newbie question, probably wrong group too

6. Benchmarks

7. I've got one "probably" stupid newbie question.

8. New or Revised TAs on websco, 960121

9. Probably Dumb Newbie Linux/NT Question

10. memory use (probably a newbie question)

11. dos2unix error messages - newbie question, probably

12. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

13. New to KDE2, probably easy question