Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

Post by Peter Arnol » Mon, 05 Jul 2004 07:31:22

I'd like to reference some of the previous posts but my ISP has already expired them (after just two weeks! Can you believe that!) I've also already replied but somehow it got lost but I can't blame the ISP for that.....yet.

I'd like to thank those that responded.

Firstly: the link that Patrick provided was helpful with troubleshooting as was another link I found on basic to advanced setup of bind. These links are:
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/

My issue I *believe* was errors in the database files: namely the addition of missing "." after the domain name. I've done other things to tidy up as well though.

Useful commands that are now part of solaris c/w man pages that are also covered in the above web links to some degree are:
ndc, dig and nsupdate.

One word of warning: If you take the time to structure nice neat database files, take a copy before any dynamic DNS updates as bind rewrites them (heh, really!) but in a really *format.

Cheers
Peter Arnold

Post by Jim85C » Thu, 08 Jul 2004 04:01:13

"I'd like to reference some of the previous posts but my ISP has already
  expired them"

That is why we have google:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

> I'd like to reference some of the previous posts but my ISP has already
> expired them (after just two weeks! Can you believe that!) I've also
> already replied but somehow it got lost but I can't blame the ISP for
> that.....yet.

> I'd like to thank those that responded.

> Firstly: the link that Patrick provided was helpful with troubleshooting
> as was another link I found on basic to advanced setup of bind. These
> links are:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> My issue I *believe* was errors in the database files: namely the
> addition of missing "." after the domain name. I've done other things to
> tidy up as well though.

> Useful commands that are now part of solaris c/w man pages that are also
> covered in the above web links to some degree are:
> ndc, dig and nsupdate.

> One word of warning: If you take the time to structure nice neat
> database files, take a copy before any dynamic DNS updates as bind
> rewrites them (heh, really!) but in a really *format.

> Cheers
> Peter Arnold

1. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

I've got a solaris 9 04/04 box set up with the bundled DNS and DHCP servers but I can't seem to get windows XP clients to dynamicaly register their names in DNS. DHCP seems to work just fine.

I've followed the rather simple doco at http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/806-5529/6jehkcs59?a=view however it still does not work.
This doco covers adding the allow-update directive to the named.conf file, which I've done for local and loop back IPs and then ticking the "Update DNS host information upon client request" check box in DHCP configuration.

When I configure a DHCP domain from scratch and it comes to the section on where to store host names, I choose DNS, I get a popup that says "Unable to manage defined hosts table". I've gone back to "none" then later ticked Edit -> Modify: "Update DNS host information upon client request"....still no updates.

There is nothing loged in the DHCP logs relevant to dns problems.

My named.conf file is:
bash-2.05# cat /etc/named.conf
options {
        directory "/etc/named";
        pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
        forwarders {
                <dns 1>;
                <dns 2>;
                <dns 3>;
                };
        forward first;
        };

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "/etc/named/db.cache";
        };

zone "pjama.loc" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/named/<my domain>.hosts";
        allow-update {
                127.0.0.1;
                192.168.200.1;
                192.168.200.11;
                };
        };

zone "200.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        allow-update {
                127.0.0.1;
                192.168.200.1;
                192.168.200.11;
                };
        file "/etc/named/192.168.200.rev";
        };

logging {
        category default {
                default_syslog;
                default_debug;
                default_stderr;
                };
        };
bash-2.05

Any assistance appreciated.

Cheers
Peter Arnold

2. dual cpus of different model?

3. Redhat 9.0 dhcp client & windows 2003 dhcp server: dynamic dns update

4. Clock does strange things

5. DHCP, DNS, WINS, dynamic DNS, other questions

6. Linux User Group of Davis - Meeting 6/14 6:30pm - Sam Lantinga, Loki

7. dns update from dhcp server ok for windows clients, not ok for linux (dhclient) clients

8. Ports not working

9. Linux DNS server and Win 2000 DNS client.

10. DHCP, DNS/Dynamic DNS???

11. External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

12. ddclient to update dynamic DNS entries at a dynamic DNS service

13. dhcp and dynamic dns on a mixed linux and win 2k network