4 GB installed founds only 3 GB

Post by jan.anders.. » Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:41:41

Hello all,

I have installed 8x512MB on a SF-V240, but the system
only founds 3GB.

Cheers
jan

Post by Thomas Maier-Komo » Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:26:09

> Hello all,

> I have installed 8x512MB on a SF-V240, but the system
> only founds 3GB.

> Cheers
> jan

take a look at prtdiag -v and you might find out which
modules are causing problems, or run a verbose test-all
in OBP.

Tom

Post by Scott Howar » Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:17:16

> I have installed 8x512MB on a SF-V240, but the system
> only founds 3GB.

Odds are one of the DIMMs failed POST.  Re-POST the system (preferable
at max level by putting the key into the "diag" position) and see what
happens.

Then presuming it's under warranty or support, call Sun.

  Scott

1. RH5.2 install to lsat 4 GB of 12 GB disk

I have a multi-boot machine with a 12GB hard disk. The first 8GB are
partitioned as 2GB, 2GB, and 4GB partitions, leaving 4GB unused space
at the end. However, this means the unused space is beyond sector
#1024. My BIOS will handle that, but I cannot get RH Linux 5.2 (using
either fdisk or Disk Druid) to add a new partition out there.

Do I need to shrink one of the other partitions in order to get room
for installing the kernel in the first 1024 sectors of the disk?

The current setup is: first 2 GB == DOS, plus the NT loader and
BOOT.INI file and the Windows 95 OSR2 *.bat files, all in a FAT16
partition. The next 2GB are a FAT32 holding Win95. The next 4GB are an
NTFS partition holding NT 4.0 SP4. By having the loaders in the FAT16
at the beginning of the disk, I can put the other operating systems
wherever I want on the disk. Is there anything analogous for Linux, or
do I have to have a partition for it separately in the first 1024
sectors?

Thanks for any help.

2. Mandrake 7.1 and IDSL

3. $299.95 /mo Max/Max 10 GB $119 /GB Charged

4. Alias and awk variables

5. 40 GB Seagate disk and only 8 GB usable

6. Solaris 2.6: libc internal error

7. UDMA66 Large Disk (27.3 Gb) == 8 Gb industrial standard disk???

8. 8 port switch recommendations

9. Mixing 2 GB and 4 GB disk in MultiPack

10. Fdisk 15 GB harddisk gets 1 GB ?

11. How to reformat a 2.1 GB disk to 2 GB ?

12. Will 20/40 GB tape drv write 5 GB tape?

13. 18 GB disk shrinks to 15 GB