/home (AIX) and /export/home (Solaris)

Post by Richard E Sgrigno » Sun, 13 May 2001 12:38:04

On AIX, the user home directories are normally placed under /home (i.e.
/home/myID); whereas, under Solaris, they are normally placed under
/export/home.

On our AIX platforms, the SysAdmin had created a link from /export/home to
/home, such as:

        ln -s /home /export/home

so that no matter how accustomed you are to AIX or Solaris, you'll be able
to jump to "a" home directory.

Question came up regarding me creating a similar link so that those AIX-
types can simply enter "/home/<userID>" and get to where they want.

        ln -s /export/home /home

But, with /home containing an auto_home file and it dealing with
automounting, is this something that can be shut off, removed, and simply
re-create /home as a link without any dire consequences?

Thanks.

/home (AIX) and /export/home (Solaris)

Post by andrew_gar.. » Sun, 13 May 2001 23:46:52

Comment the line that starts with home in the /etc/auto_master file.  Or
if you don't use the automounter, then uninstall the packages:  SUNWatfsr
and SUNWatfsu.

Best Regards,

Andrew Garman

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Sgrignoli) wrote regarding /home (AIX) and /export/home (Solaris):

Quote:> On AIX, the user home directories are normally placed under /home (i.e.
> /home/myID); whereas, under Solaris, they are normally placed under
> /export/home.
> On our AIX platforms, the SysAdmin had created a link from /export/home
> /home, such as:
>       ln -s /home /export/home
> so that no matter how accustomed you are to AIX or Solaris, you'll be
able
> to jump to "a" home directory.
> Question came up regarding me creating a similar link so that those AIX-
> types can simply enter "/home/<userID>" and get to where they want.
>       ln -s /export/home /home
> But, with /home containing an auto_home file and it dealing with
> automounting, is this something that can be shut off, removed, and simply
> re-create /home as a link without any dire consequences?

/home (AIX) and /export/home (Solaris)

Post by Rich Tee » Mon, 14 May 2001 02:44:28

Quote:> Question came up regarding me creating a similar link so that those AIX-
> types can simply enter "/home/<userID>" and get to where they want.

>            ln -s /export/home /home

> But, with /home containing an auto_home file and it dealing with
> automounting, is this something that can be shut off, removed, and simply
> re-create /home as a link without any dire consequences?

You're so close!  Read the autmount and automountd man pages to learn
how to set this up properly.  Using symbolic links when you've go the
automounter is just stupid, IMHO!

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

/home (AIX) and /export/home (Solaris)

Post by Jerem » Mon, 14 May 2001 03:48:15

Quote:> But, with /home containing an auto_home file and it dealing with
> automounting, is this something that can be shut off, removed, and simply
> re-create /home as a link without any dire consequences?

I suppose so, but why not just let the automounter put the home directories
in /home for you?

--

/home (AIX) and /export/home (Solaris)

Post by David Anderso » Wed, 16 May 2001 04:38:58

You said this was a "SysAdmin"?  If so - change SysAdmin or send them on a
basic admin course.

The relationship between /export/home and /home is predefined.  It is for
automount(er).  Entrees need to be made in /etc/auto_home and change the
users path to /home/<uid>.  Since professionally managed (beyond junior
level) shops use automount and shared home paths, Sun has partially
configured it for you.  If you want to do it the hard way, unconfigure
automounter.

It is possible and practical, you can share home paths beween AIX and Sun to
save disk space and increase user functionality.  If the AIX level is at or
before 4.1, you may want to make sure it is patched up as AIX was notorious
for NFS problems from 3.1 through 4.1.  This would actually be advised if
you are sharing NIS.
-------------------------------

Post by Reinier Po » Tue, 15 May 2001 18:21:54

Quote:>On AIX, the user home directories are normally placed under /home (i.e.
>/home/myID); whereas, under Solaris, they are normally placed under
>/export/home.

... and *automounted* under /home.  Automounting can be described as
'symlinking done right'.  Are you sure your home dirs aren't already
visible under /home on Solaris?  I think they are by default.

Quote:>Question came up regarding me creating a similar link so that those AIX-
>types can simply enter "/home/<userID>" and get to where they want.

>            ln -s /export/home /home

>But, with /home containing an auto_home file and it dealing with
>automounting, is this something that can be shut off, removed, and simply
>re-create /home as a link without any dire consequences?

Can you remove the Ferrari from the garage and put the T-Ford back in?
Certainly.  But you probably want to use the automounter instead, once
you find out how it works.  As soon as you want to cross-mount /home
to other hosts, especially when this is a larger and variable set,
or if you want to be able to relocate /export/home to a different server
without the users even noticing, you'll start to hate symlinks.

Quote:>Thanks.

--
Reinier

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Tue, 15 May 2001 21:42:29

> On AIX, the user home directories are normally placed under /home (i.e.
> /home/myID); whereas, under Solaris, they are normally placed under
> /export/home.
> But, with /home containing an auto_home file and it dealing with
> automounting, is this something that can be shut off, removed, and simply
> re-create /home as a link without any dire consequences?

Just RTFM and put proper entries in /etc/auto_home for each user.

You can, in fact, set up AIX's automounter in the same way, and have the same
behaviour on both platforms. You could even go as far as having ALL home
directories on a single server.

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Fri, 18 May 2001 23:50:31

> On AIX, the user home directories are normally placed under /home (i.e.
> /home/myID); whereas, under Solaris, they are normally placed under
> /export/home.

> On our AIX platforms, the SysAdmin had created a link from /export/home to
> /home, such as:

>         ln -s /home /export/home

> so that no matter how accustomed you are to AIX or Solaris, you'll be able
> to jump to "a" home directory.

> Question came up regarding me creating a similar link so that those AIX-
> types can simply enter "/home/<userID>" and get to where they want.

>         ln -s /export/home /home

> But, with /home containing an auto_home file and it dealing with
> automounting, is this something that can be shut off, removed, and simply
> re-create /home as a link without any dire consequences?

> Thanks.

        It is really amusing to see the number of smart-ass, dumb-ass
answers you got to your simple question.  Some of course did you the
giant "favor" of pointing out how basic your question was without
answering it for you.  SUN morons.

        Put the following line in your "/etc/auto_home" file:

*       localhost:/export/home/&

                        Hope this helps,
                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Sat, 19 May 2001 00:21:48

>         It is really amusing to see the number of smart-ass, dumb-ass
> answers you got to your simple question.  Some of course did you the
> giant "favor" of pointing out how basic your question was without
> answering it for you.  SUN morons.

Give a man a fish, he has food for the day.
Teach a man to fish, he has food for life.

Give a newbie admin the answer to his basic question, he fixes his immediate
problem.
Teach a newbie admin to RTFM, he can fix any problem.

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sat, 19 May 2001 00:24:50

> >         It is really amusing to see the number of smart-ass, dumb-ass
> > answers you got to your simple question.  Some of course did you the
> > giant "favor" of pointing out how basic your question was without
> > answering it for you.  SUN morons.
> Give a man a fish, he has food for the day.
> Teach a man to fish, he has food for life.

> Give a newbie admin the answer to his basic question, he fixes his immediate
> problem.
> Teach a newbie admin to RTFM, he can fix any problem.

        Answer a simple question, do someone a favor.
        Sit on your high horse and pontificate about how "simple" the
answer is, show yourself to be a pompous ass.

                        Hope this helps,
                              Don

--

Post by Aleksandar Milivojevi » Sat, 19 May 2001 05:13:35

Quote:> Question came up regarding me creating a similar link so that those AIX-
> types can simply enter "/home/<userID>" and get to where they want.

>            ln -s /export/home /home

> But, with /home containing an auto_home file and it dealing with
> automounting, is this something that can be shut off, removed, and simply
> re-create /home as a link without any dire consequences?

Edit /etc/auto_master and comment out /home line.  Restart autofs
(/etc/init.d/autofs stop; /etc/init.d/autofs start) and automountd
will no longer get in the way when accessing /home.  If you don't use
automountd functionality, you may disable it completly by renaming
S74autofs script to s74autofs in /etc/rc2.d directory (and this is
something I do on most of our servers -- disabling almost all system
daemons that I don't use (most of them on most of the systems are
usefull only for breaking into the computer by exploiting buffer
overflow bugs)).

The thing that I'm doing on almost every Solaris installation is to
create /home partition during installation ("useradd -m" tries to
create user home directory under /home anyway) .  If you want to do
something similar after installation you can do something like this
(and you will have same setup as on AIX):

Edit /etc/vfstab and change /export/home to /home and then execute
following commands (first and last line are needed if you don't have
/home commented out in auto_master file and you choose not to disable
automountd):

# /etc/init.d/autofs stop
# umount /export/home
# mount /home
# ln -s /home /export/home
# /etc/init.d/autofs start

Note that unmount of /export/home will most likely fail if you have
users loged on.  Do this in single user or when there is no users on
system, or simply change /etc/vfstab and reboot.  Also, if you have
regular file system mounted on /home, and you don't comment out /home
line in /etc/auto_master (if you have automountd enabled) you will get
warning from automountd on every boot saying that /home is already in
use and automountd will ignore /home line in auto_master.

--

Opinions expressed herein are my own.
Statements included here may be fiction rather than truth.

/home (AIX) and /export/home (Solaris)

Post by Richard E Sgrigno » Sun, 20 May 2001 09:55:42

Thanks much!

Yes, I did read the "man page", but it apparently did not answer my
question based on the "situation" that I was presenting.  Apparently some
felt they KNEW the situation and answered accordingly...when, in fact, they
assumed wrong.  But, anyway, will take all the "technical" responses, give
them a try, and see whether or not it satisfies the person in our section
who initially brought it up.

Thanks again, Don!

Quote:>     It is really amusing to see the number of smart-ass, dumb-ass

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Tue, 22 May 2001 21:33:30

> Yes, I did read the "man page", but it apparently did not answer my
> question based on the "situation" that I was presenting. Apparently some
> felt they KNEW the situation and answered accordingly...when, in fact, they
> assumed wrong.

What you need to know is that every environment is different, and any answer
is going to require a huge assumption on our part about your environment. Rev.
Don made an assumption and sent you just one of the many possible solutions.
Because his answer worked for you, you worship him as a god. Actually, he just
got lucky.

Quote:> But, anyway, will take all the "technical" responses, give
> them a try, and see whether or not it satisfies the person in our section
> who initially brought it up.

Rev Don's answer was from the man page (man automount on Solaris 7 & 8), in
the "Wildcard Key" section.

Forgive us for wanting you to actually UNDERSTAND what you were administering.