NFS Server not responding

NFS Server not responding

Post by Donnie Payn » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 04:36:54



I have three Sun E-450s all running Solaris 8.  I am sharing file
systems via NFS between all three.  I am in a difficult situation in
that one of the servers won't mount file systems from the other two
servers.  It is the busiest server.  I figure a good reboot would fix
the problem but I just can't do that presently.

'nfs.server' and 'nfs.client' is running on all three servers.  I've
tried 'unshareall' stopping 'nfs.server' then 'shareall' and some other
things.  Nothing has seemed to work so far.

Does anyone know how to make one system want to mount NFS file systems
when it's not in the mood, and it should?  :)

Thanks in advance.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Donnie Payne
Systems Administrator
Purdue University, Genomics Facility
1057 Whistler Hall, Room 207
West Lafayette,  IN   47907-1057


 Phone: 765-496-2134
 Fax: 765-496-7255
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 
 

NFS Server not responding

Post by Griff Mille » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 05:40:39



> I have three Sun E-450s all running Solaris 8.  I am sharing file
> systems via NFS between all three.  I am in a difficult situation in
> that one of the servers won't mount file systems from the other two
> servers.  It is the busiest server.  I figure a good reboot would fix
> the problem but I just can't do that presently.

> 'nfs.server' and 'nfs.client' is running on all three servers.  I've
> tried 'unshareall' stopping 'nfs.server' then 'shareall' and some other
> things.  Nothing has seemed to work so far.

> Does anyone know how to make one system want to mount NFS file systems
> when it's not in the mood, and it should?  :)

What do you mean by "won't mount file systems" ?  Do you get some sort of
error message? How about sharing that with us?  :)

In general, if you're going to have a situation where you've got these
cross-dependencies, you'd better at least have "bg" as one of the mount
options in vfstab on each NFS filesystem. Or use the automounter.

--
Griff Miller II                   | Why, I think I've got the hang of it now! |
Manager of Information Technology | :w :q :wq :wq! ^d X exit :quitbye :!QUIT! |
Positron Corporation              | CtrlAltDel ^E ^X ^I ^T ZZ q help ^X^C :~q |


 
 
 

NFS Server not responding

Post by Donnie Payn » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 05:51:11


Sorry Griff,

What I mean by "won't mount file system" is that when I 'mountall' on the contrary
server, I eventually get:

"NFS server fermat not responding still trying"
"NFS server descartes not responding still trying"

The file systems are set to 'bg' in vfstab as you suggested, so the systems don't
stop while waiting on the mount.

I was just hoping there was a way to "fix" this without a reboot.

Thanks,

Donnie



> > I have three Sun E-450s all running Solaris 8.  I am sharing file
> > systems via NFS between all three.  I am in a difficult situation in
> > that one of the servers won't mount file systems from the other two
> > servers.  It is the busiest server.  I figure a good reboot would fix
> > the problem but I just can't do that presently.

> > 'nfs.server' and 'nfs.client' is running on all three servers.  I've
> > tried 'unshareall' stopping 'nfs.server' then 'shareall' and some other
> > things.  Nothing has seemed to work so far.

> > Does anyone know how to make one system want to mount NFS file systems
> > when it's not in the mood, and it should?  :)

> What do you mean by "won't mount file systems" ?  Do you get some sort of
> error message? How about sharing that with us?  :)

> In general, if you're going to have a situation where you've got these
> cross-dependencies, you'd better at least have "bg" as one of the mount
> options in vfstab on each NFS filesystem. Or use the automounter.

> --
> Griff Miller II                   | Why, I think I've got the hang of it now! |
> Manager of Information Technology | :w :q :wq :wq! ^d X exit :quitbye :!QUIT! |
> Positron Corporation              | CtrlAltDel ^E ^X ^I ^T ZZ q help ^X^C :~q |


--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Donnie Payne
Systems Administrator
Purdue University, Genomics Facility
1057 Whistler Hall, Room 207
West Lafayette,  IN   47907-1057


 Phone: 765-496-2134
 Fax: 765-496-7255
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 
 

NFS Server not responding

Post by Griff Mille » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 06:19:10



> Sorry Griff,

> What I mean by "won't mount file system" is that when I 'mountall' on the contrary
> server, I eventually get:

> "NFS server fermat not responding still trying"
> "NFS server descartes not responding still trying"

Are fermat and descartes complaining about anything, like in /var/adm/messages ?

Quote:> The file systems are set to 'bg' in vfstab as you suggested, so the systems don't
> stop while waiting on the mount.

Good.

Quote:> I was just hoping there was a way to "fix" this without a reboot.

Exactly what started the trouble? It might help figuring out how to
fix it without a reboot.

--
Griff Miller II                   |                                           |
Manager of Information Technology | "Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?" |
Positron Corporation              |                                           |

 
 
 

NFS Server not responding

Post by Donnie Payn » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:53:49


Quote:> > What I mean by "won't mount file system" is that when I 'mountall' on the contrary
> > server, I eventually get:

> > "NFS server fermat not responding still trying"
> > "NFS server descartes not responding still trying"

> Are fermat and descartes complaining about anything, like in /var/adm/messages ?

This is from fermat's /var/adm/messages and I'm thinking that this may be what may have
caused it:

Nov 27 10:40:38 fermat /usr/lib/nfs/nfsd[2664]: [ID 408793 daemon.error] t_bind to wrong
address
Nov 27 10:40:38 fermat /usr/lib/nfs/nfsd[2664]: [ID 128213 daemon.error] Cannot
establish NFS service over /dev/tcp6: transport setup problem.

Quote:> > The file systems are set to 'bg' in vfstab as you suggested, so the systems don't
> > stop while waiting on the mount.

> Good.

> > I was just hoping there was a way to "fix" this without a reboot.

> Exactly what started the trouble? It might help figuring out how to
> fix it without a reboot.

Descartes was complaining about the same time frame that "NFS server fermat is not
responding" but it seemed to recover okay.
The third server, silverjack, is the sick puppy.

Hope this helps . . . I certainly appreciate your responses.

> --
> Griff Miller II                   |                                           |
> Manager of Information Technology | "Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?" |
> Positron Corporation              |                                           |


--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Donnie Payne
Systems Administrator
Purdue University, Genomics Facility
1057 Whistler Hall, Room 207
West Lafayette,  IN   47907-1057


 Phone: 765-496-2134
 Fax: 765-496-7255
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 
 

NFS Server not responding

Post by Lon Stowe » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:56:26




Quote:>I have three Sun E-450s all running Solaris 8.  I am sharing file
>systems via NFS between all three.  I am in a difficult situation in
>that one of the servers won't mount file systems from the other two
>servers.  It is the busiest server.  I figure a good reboot would fix
>the problem but I just can't do that presently.

>'nfs.server' and 'nfs.client' is running on all three servers.  I've
>tried 'unshareall' stopping 'nfs.server' then 'shareall' and some other
>things.  Nothing has seemed to work so far.

>Does anyone know how to make one system want to mount NFS file systems
>when it's not in the mood, and it should?  :)

  Start with figuring out if the problem is with mountd or the mounts
  are failing due to the NFS procedures that follow a successful
  mount. [fsinfo and readdir or readdirplus].

  It could also be a failure in your naming service or naming service
  configuration....

  And is it a manual mount or an automount....

  From a would-be client, do you see the expected files in a
  showmount -e [servername].  

  Are all of the NFS services running?  e.g. rpcinfo -p servername
  from the client.

  When all else fails, a snoop can help, but usually only to point
  to the next snoop target.  

  "Nfs server not responding" is the generic error....not particularly
  useful in fault isolation.  

 
 
 

NFS Server not responding

Post by Lon Stowe » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:01:55




Quote:>> > What I mean by "won't mount file system" is that when I 'mountall' on the contrary
>> > server, I eventually get:

>> > "NFS server fermat not responding still trying"
>> > "NFS server descartes not responding still trying"

>> Are fermat and descartes complaining about anything, like in /var/adm/messages ?

>This is from fermat's /var/adm/messages and I'm thinking that this may be what may have
>caused it:

>Nov 27 10:40:38 fermat /usr/lib/nfs/nfsd[2664]: [ID 408793 daemon.error] t_bind to wrong
>address
>Nov 27 10:40:38 fermat /usr/lib/nfs/nfsd[2664]: [ID 128213 daemon.error] Cannot
>establish NFS service over /dev/tcp6: transport setup problem.

  Did someone try to run the rc3.d nfs server startup script twice,
  or is something else bound there?

  You can TRY manually killing the nfsd's [run the rc3.d script with
  a stop option first, but then check to see if any nfsd shows up
  in the proc table]  

 
 
 

NFS Server not responding

Post by Donnie Payn » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:18:57


Quote:>   Did someone try to run the rc3.d nfs server startup script twice,
>   or is something else bound there?

I added a tape drive (Autoloader) and did a reboot -r the day before to fermat.  It re-wrote
permissions for /dev and that's why I got the other errors . . . that's taken care of now.
Anyway . . . I only had one nfsd running.

Quote:>   You can TRY manually killing the nfsd's [run the rc3.d script with
>   a stop option first, but then check to see if any nfsd shows up
>   in the proc table]

I rebooted the fermat server this morning ('cause I could) just to make sure that all was
okay on a clean startup.  I now have:
all nfs daemons running that should including:
nfsd -a 64
 
 
 

NFS Server not responding

Post by Donnie Payn » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:25:13


Quote:> > Nov 27 10:40:38 fermat /usr/lib/nfs/nfsd[2664]: [ID 128213 daemon.error] Cannot
> > establish NFS service over /dev/tcp6: transport setup problem.

>   Do you have IPv6 configured? Run 'ifconfig -a' on the systems and
> make sure they're all trying to use IPv4 (or all trying to use IPv6).

All three servers are configured with IPv4 & IPv6 and all looks well on the 'ipconfig
-a', well to me anyway.

I added a tape drive (Autoloader) and did a reboot -r the day before to fermat.  It
re-wrote
permissions for /dev and that's why I got the other errors . . . that's taken care of
now.

Thanks,    Donnie

 
 
 

NFS Server not responding

Post by Donnie Payn » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:38:15


Quote:> >Does anyone know how to make one system want to mount NFS file systems
> >when it's not in the mood, and it should?  :)

>   And is it a manual mount or an automount....

It's a manual mount done with entries in the 'vfstab' file and not using the
automounter.

Quote:>   From a would-be client, do you see the expected files in a
>   showmount -e [servername].

Yes, the expected files from the server are there, just won't mount on the
client server.

Quote:>   Are all of the NFS services running?  e.g. rpcinfo -p servername
>   from the client.

They are all there.

Quote:>   When all else fails, a snoop can help, but usually only to point
>   to the next snoop target.

>   "Nfs server not responding" is the generic error....not particularly
>   useful in fault isolation.

You're right there :-)  I suppose in my case, the client machine is serious
this time . . . blasted thing just won't NFS mount from anywhere.

Thanks,    Donnie

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Donnie Payne
Systems Administrator
Purdue University, Genomics Facility
1057 Whistler Hall, Room 207
West Lafayette,  IN   47907-1057


 Phone: 765-496-2134
 Fax: 765-496-7255
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 
 

NFS Server not responding

Post by Griff Mille » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 04:25:35



> I added a tape drive (Autoloader) and did a reboot -r the day before to fermat.

That should be:

reboot -- -r

...not:

reboot -r

And really, it'd be better to do this instead:

# touch /reconfigure
# init 6

--
Griff Miller II                   | Why, I think I've got the hang of it now! |
Manager of Information Technology | :w :q :wq :wq! ^d X exit :quitbye :!QUIT! |
Positron Corporation              | CtrlAltDel ^E ^X ^I ^T ZZ q help ^X^C :~q |

 
 
 

NFS Server not responding

Post by Donnie Payn » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 05:08:22


Okay, got it, a little more graceful this way, . . .

Thanks,
Donnie



> > I added a tape drive (Autoloader) and did a reboot -r the day before to fermat.

> That should be:

> reboot -- -r

> ...not:

> reboot -r

> And really, it'd be better to do this instead:

> # touch /reconfigure
> # init 6

> --
> Griff Miller II                   | Why, I think I've got the hang of it now! |
> Manager of Information Technology | :w :q :wq :wq! ^d X exit :quitbye :!QUIT! |
> Positron Corporation              | CtrlAltDel ^E ^X ^I ^T ZZ q help ^X^C :~q |


--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Donnie Payne
Systems Administrator
Purdue University, Genomics Facility
1057 Whistler Hall, Room 207
West Lafayette,  IN   47907-1057


 Phone: 765-496-2134
 Fax: 765-496-7255
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 
 

1. NFS server not responding

I have a RedHat 8.0 box functioning as an NFS server. It holds a small AIX
database, some TIF image files, and some webpages. Every 3 or 4 days it
seems to lock up. By that, I mean I can't access it via NFS, and none of the
network services seem to respond (i.e. sshd). It does respond to a ping,
however.  If I go to the console and reboot it, everything is fine again,
for a couple of days (which is a pain, because it's in a different
building.) It doesn't seem to happen at a particular interval, or at a
particular time, but it's about every 3 or 4 days. I have no idea what's
happening. Has anyone seen anything similar before, or have any ideas where
I might look for clues?

Thanks,
Brian

2. DHCP client and Kernel 2.2.3

3. Rogues gallery of odditie

4. NFS server not responding, still trying

5. GNU gcc 2.0 and protoize problems on RS/6000

6. file system crash

7. nfs server not responding

8. NFS server not responding

9. NFS server not responding (Sol. 2.4)

10. NFS server not responding messages

11. NFS server not responding for Ultra 170