Caching /w Apache + mod_proxy

Post by Tobias J. Krei » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I am attempting to use Apache's mod_proxy as a cache accelerator, not
as a proxy server (currently, we're running version 1.3.12).
The proxy_module is loaded and enabled, CacheRoot, CacheSize and
CacheGcInterval are all defined, and "ProxyRequst On" are all present in the
httpd.conf file:

#+++ start snippet.....

LoadModule proxy_module       libexec/libproxy.so

AddModule mod_proxy.c

ProxyRequests On

# Enable/disable the handling of HTTP/1.1 "Via:" headers.
# ("Full" adds the server version; "Block" removes all outgoing Via: headers)
# Set to one of: Off | On | Full | Block
### seems to make no difference if o or off for caching tests...
ProxyVia On

# To enable the cache as well, edit and uncomment the following lines:
# (no cacheing without CacheRoot)

#CacheRoot /nau/share/etc/httpd/var/apache/proxy
CacheRoot /nau/cache/httpd

# CacheSize 5
CacheSize 500
CacheGcInterval 4
CacheMaxExpire 24
CacheLastModifiedFactor 0.1
CacheDefaultExpire 1

#----- end snippet .....

The CacheRoot directory's owner/group is set to that of the running
httpd daemon.  Still, no sign of any cache files in the CacheRoot,
and there is no evidence to make me believe the server is caching
(nothing in the access_log to indicate caching, either).

Is there a problem with Apache running now with HTTP/1.1 that
keeps this from working or what else is needed to make this work?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Regards,
T.Kreidl
NAU/Information technology Services

1. Method for clearing apache's mod_proxy cache?

At AvantGo, we use mod_proxy to set up a reverse proxy to help regulate
loads on the web servers. Unfortunately, whenever we change images on
the real webservers, the change will not be immediately reflected until
the proxy cache expires for that image (every 4 hours).

Currently, in order to force a cache clear, we must take the proxy down
and then start it again: a poor solution as it cannot be automated. (We
have a tool that helps automate site updates.)

We are wondering if there is a way to tell mod_proxy to clear its cache
aside from doing a server restart. We have tried sending it signals to
no avail, and removing the cache files manually causes the proxy server
to hang.

Upon inspection, there does not appear to be functions in mod_proxy
that allow a cache flush, so the answer might be that it is impossible.

Any insight, however, is appreciated.

Thanks,
Matthew Lewinski

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Apache API RETURN codes

3. Apache/mod_proxy: file permissions cache directory

4. ltmodem.o works well, but has warning diag msg at boot??

5. Apache cache accelerator /w mod_proxy

6. parity error on motherboard

7. mod_proxy cache

8. fsck question

9. Apache Proxy -- cache statistics (%full, cache-hit-rate)?

10. Apache 1.1b* mod_proxy patch (Expires)

11. Any Body doing Apache + Netware + mod_proxy

12. apache newbie - simple question about mod_proxy

13. mod_proxy & Apache 1.1.1