VNC on Solaris for Intel

Post by <-> » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:40:04

Hi all,

I am having some trouble with VNC  on Solaris. I have successfully compiled
and built the vncserver program, but I find I can only run it as root. What
I need is to allow several students to use VNC to simultaneously log on to a
single Solaris server running VNC server. At the moment I can do this, but
all users are 'root' - I need them to log in with their own user accounts. I
have assumed to do this, I need to run the vncserver program from their
individual accounts. But if I do this, I get:

$ more katene-unix:4.log
_XSERVTransSocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for local

Fatal server error:
Failed to establish all listening sockets
xrdb: Interrupted system call
xrdb: Can't open display 'katene-unix:4'
xsetroot:  unable to open display 'katene-unix:4'
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: katene-unix:4
twm:  unable to open display "katene-unix:4"
$

One might assume from this that only the superuser has permission to "create
listening sockets". Is this correct? If so, is there a way around this? I am
assured by a colleague that Linux doesn't have this problem(/feature).

Thanks,

Callum

VNC on Solaris for Intel

Post by Peter C. Tribb » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:01:07

Quote:

> Hi all,

> I am having some trouble with VNC  on Solaris. I have successfully compiled
> and built the vncserver program, but I find I can only run it as root.

That's because you need to fix the permissions on the Xvnc binary:

chgrp root Xvnc
chmod g+s Xvnc

and you're all set.

--
-Peter Tribble
HGMP Computing Services

1. Ctrl-C in Windows VNC viewer, Redhat VNC server

I've got a redhat box running VNC server on it. I can connect fine w/ a
Windows viewer and most things work fine. Ctrl-C doesn't seem to
interupt though.

$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 24; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase =
^W;
lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon
-ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0
vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop
-echoprt
echoctl echoke

$ echo ^C|hexdump
0000000 0a03
0000002

Ctrl-Z works fine, but Ctrl-C is not interrupting any programs. I have
to Ctrl-Z out and then kill the process. Ctrl-C works fine from the
local X server. The Ctrl-C seems to be generating the same ASCII 03
from both the VNC viewer and local X server.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Tunnel device driver on Solaris ?

3. Problem with Solaris and VNC

4. prex error after installing TNF packages

5. Cannot enter text in VNC on Solaris 10

6. NIS (YP), NYP Questions

7. Intel solaris vs Sparc solaris

8. Fastest IBM Supercomputer To Run Linux

9. Solaris 8 x86 and VNC

10. Difference between Solaris Intel and Solaris SPARC

11. VNC NT viewing Solaris

12. VNC and XDMCP and dtlogin and Xaccess on Solaris 9

13. Solaris 8 - XP home VNC problems