NIS+

Post by Mark W Breh » Sun, 10 Jul 1994 02:08:49

Well, I'm sure this topic is well worn but I haven't seen anything
on it....

The question is "Is it worth changing from NIS to NIS+?"  Many of
the books I have looked over claim it is, but I know at least one
system admin who hates NIS+ now that she has it installed.

So what are the pitfalls?

How long does it usually take before all the bugs are worked out?

We are running a "fully patched" version of Solaris 2.3.  We have
a good sized system (5 or so servers, about 120 work stations).

Thanks for any advice,
Mark Brehob

NIS+

Post by Mark W Breh » Sun, 10 Jul 1994 04:54:55

: The question is "Is it worth changing from NIS to NIS+?"  Many of
: the books I have looked over claim it is, but I know at least one
: system admin who hates NIS+ now that she has it installed.

: Thanks for any advice,
: Mark Brehob

(some stuff above deleted)

I did not mention this but.. I will post a summery of advice
back to this group in about a week.

Those who have already responded, if you don't want your name
used please let me know!

Thanks
Still Mark Brehob.....

1. Would NIS+ master work with NIS+ & NIS Slave?????????

If anyone have try this combination please let me know if it work..

Here is my Question.  Again would it work if I have this combination:

One machine is NIS+ master server and the other is run NIS+ & NIS compatible mode as a slave for
NIS+ master server domain.

Any sugguestion will be appreciate

Thanks in advance

Yoom Nguyen

906-487-2355

2. GNOME calendar too big

3. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

4. UMAX Powerlook II scanner

5. NIS+ : Can an HP be a NIS client to a Sun NIS+ server

6. Formac ProTV in linux?

7. NIS to NIS+: any how to papers

8. Effectively replacing the browser's history entries

9. NIS+ Compatibility Mode (NIS Client - calendar problem)?

10. Help, NIS+ Server, NIS Client

11. Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems

12. NIS+ encryption? NIS+ expert needed

13. NIS: How to add a new user, without restarting NIS?