Using a serial terminal as a monitor port while running solaris 8 X86 ......

Using a serial terminal as a monitor port while running solaris 8 X86 ......

Post by Matthew McHug » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 22:02:44

Hello All,

I use the serial terminal's (i.e. tty A) as my console for my Sun hardware
and it works great.  Now I have a project that is requiring us to x86 and my
lightwave console server 3200 doesn't work with the serial port on the
Compaq DL360 server running solaris 8 x86.

Has anyone ever had success setting up a serial port on a Intel based server
to act as the monitor while running x86?  I don't know if this will ever
work, since the serial port on the Intel server is probably not designed to
act as a video port, however, before I give up, I want to exhaust all
resources.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Matt

Using a serial terminal as a monitor port while running solaris 8 X86 ......

Post by Joachim Rin » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 01:16:46

Quote:> Has anyone ever had success setting up a serial port on a Intel based
server
> to act as the monitor while running x86?  I don't know if this will
ever
> work, since the serial port on the Intel server is probably not
designed to
> act as a video port, however, before I give up, I want to exhaust all
> resources.

well, a serial port is not a video port, even on sparc. but it can be
used as a command line console, as you've probably seen on sparc.
therefore you want to have a look at

http://aa11.cjb.net/sun_managers/2000/01/msg00326.html

on how to set it up. be warned though, that you won't be able to enter
bios or raid controller setup without keyboard and crt installed.

joachim

Post by Greg Andre » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:28:22

>I use the serial terminal's (i.e. tty A) as my console for my Sun hardware
>and it works great.  Now I have a project that is requiring us to x86 and my
>lightwave console server 3200 doesn't work with the serial port on the
>Compaq DL360 server running solaris 8 x86.

>Has anyone ever had success setting up a serial port on a Intel based server
>to act as the monitor while running x86?  I don't know if this will ever
>work, since the serial port on the Intel server is probably not designed to
>act as a video port, however, before I give up, I want to exhaust all
>resources.

Take a peek at the Solaris on Intel FAQ, questions 6.9 and 6.20:

    http://www.sun.drydog.com/faq/6.html#6.9
    http://www.sun.drydog.com/faq/6.html#6.20

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright