WANTED: Opinions on Solo 9100 LS vs. Inspiron 7000

WANTED: Opinions on Solo 9100 LS vs. Inspiron 7000

Post by simonso » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I am looking for a desktop replacement in the form of a laptop or
portable PC. I am currently considering either a
Gateway 2000 Solo 9100LS or a Dell Inspiron 7000 though
I am open to other suggestions.

Since I use the Solaris operating system heavily at work, I
would like to ideally be able to smoothly run this os on the
laptop. Baring that I would be happy with Linux.

I am interested in hearing experiences and opinions on either of the
above machines as well as the compatibility of Solaris and Linux with
these machines.

Thanks in advance for your input.

WANTED: Opinions on Solo 9100 LS vs. Inspiron 7000

Post by Morgan Pittki » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Well, solaris is a proprietary system, so I think you can only run it on sun
machines. but I know linux is definitely compatible with either. Both are
nice laptops.

Post by rgraha » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Well, solaris is a proprietary system, so I think you can only run it on
sun
>machines. but I know linux is definitely compatible with either. Both are
>nice laptops.

>> I am looking for a desktop replacement in the form of a laptop or
>> portable PC. I am currently considering either a
>> Gateway 2000 Solo 9100LS or a Dell Inspiron 7000 though
>> I am open to other suggestions.

>> Since I use the Solaris operating system heavily at work, I
>> would like to ideally be able to smoothly run this os on the
>> laptop. Baring that I would be happy with Linux.

>> I am interested in hearing experiences and opinions on either of the
>> above machines as well as the compatibility of Solaris and Linux with
>> these machines.

>> Thanks in advance for your input.

That's not entirely true. I've seen reports of people getting their x86
laptops to run Solaris but with a few shortcomings i.e. lack of pcmcia card
support and video problems.

Post by Jim Henderso » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Well, solaris is a proprietary system, so I think you can only run it on sun
> machines. but I know linux is definitely compatible with either. Both are
> nice laptops.

Solaris x86 will run on Intel-based machines.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson
Novell Support Connection SysOp - http://support.novell.com/forums

Homepage at http://www.bigfoot.com/~jhenderson (email instructions
located here)

Please note that as an NSC SysOp, I do not provide support for Novell
products on a personal basis - if you need help with a Novell product,
please post a reply in the public newsgroup or visit the Novell support
forums at the URL above.

1. Dell Inspiron 7000 vs Linux......

I'd really like to get RedHat 6.0 running on my laptop, but I've run into a
couple of problems.  First, it won't recognize my network card or my modem.
Second, I'm not sure how to get the sound to work.  Finally (this is the
worst....) when I try to run X/KDE, I get some strange results...  the
display is messed up with parts of the screen being duplicated.  Here's the
important stuff for the system configuration:

Dell Inspiron 7000
P2/366
128MB RAM
14 Gig HD
24x CD
ATI Rage Pro LT w/8MB
15" LCD display (up to 1024x768)
3Com Network Card Model 3CCFE575BT-D (PCMCIA)
ActionTec DataLink V.90 FaxModem LK (Lucent Technologies Chipset)
Sound card is listed under Win98 properties as:
  Maestro Wave/WaveTable Synthesis
  Maestro MPU401 Devices
  Maestro DOS Games/FM Devices
  ESS Multi-Device Enumerator
  ESS Device Manager

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Nick Mertes

2. Can't ping local host but can ping others

3. sound on gateway solo 9100

4. umax_1220p scans are coming out all black

5. Problems installing linux on a Gateway solo 9100

6. need a fully functional inexpensive video card suggestion

7. a couple of annoying problems installing linux on a gateway Solo 9100

8. apache servers compromised?

9. Gateway Solo 9100 S5-233, question.

10. GateWay Solo 9100 (233mmx) PCMCIA Oddity!

11. XF86Config for Gateway Solo 9100 laptop

12. IRQ timeout - Gateway Solo 9100

13. Problem with modem and ethernet cards on Gateway Solo 9100