CDE vs. OpenWindows

Post by adejt.. » Sat, 06 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I'm in charge of a small network (1 SS-20 and 8 SS-5's), primarily
devoted to using ARC/Info, a GIS product. (Actually, I am primarily a GIS
person moonlighting as a system admin. ;))  I have just loaded Solaris 2.5,
and am reasonably happy with it.  My question is:  What are the advantages
of CDE over OpenWindows?  I understand a lot of people dislike OW,
but I don't really know why.  I loaded CDE, but I couldn't get used to it's
interface ( I especially did not like working with X-terminals.)  Is there some
advantage to CDE?

John Pate

CDE vs. OpenWindows

Post by Kent Perri » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

   I'm in charge of a small network (1 SS-20 and 8 SS-5's), primarily
   devoted to using ARC/Info, a GIS product. (Actually, I am primarily a GIS
   person moonlighting as a system admin. ;))  I have just loaded Solaris 2.5,
   and am reasonably happy with it.  My question is:  What are the advantages
   of CDE over OpenWindows?  I understand a lot of people dislike OW,
   but I don't really know why.  I loaded CDE, but I couldn't get used to it's
   interface ( I especially did not like working with X-terminals.)  Is there
   some advantage to CDE?

The main advantage to CDE is, if you have machines from multiple vendors,
you have a consistant UI on all of the machines.  That is why we here
at PGS Tensor are going to CDE since we have Sun and IBM boxes here.

Kent

--
Kent Perrier  -- Systems Support Analyst  PGS Tensor

Corporations don't have opinions, people do.  These are mine
PGP encrypted mail prefered, key available on key servers