boot with 2 OS? Win2K and Solaris 8

Post by Sean Shi » Mon, 16 Apr 2001 08:36:09

Hi,
I have 2 HDDs,  Primary HDD is Window 2000, and I install Solaris into
second HDD.
Can I modify Boot.ini file in Windows2000.
How can I add an entry in Boot.ini to tell Win2K to boot Solaris in Second
HDD?

Thanks.

boot with 2 OS? Win2K and Solaris 8

Post by Tor Slettne » Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:07:57

    Sean> Hi, I have 2 HDDs, Primary HDD is Window 2000, and I install
    Sean> Solaris into second HDD.  Can I modify Boot.ini file in
    Sean> Windows2000.  How can I add an entry in Boot.ini to tell
    Sean> Win2K to boot Solaris in Second HDD?

You basically need to copy 512 bytes from the beginning of the Solaris
partition into a file on the WinNT/2K "C:" drive, e.g. "bootsect.sol".

Have a look at the Linux+NT-Loader-HOWTO:

        http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

-tor

boot with 2 OS? Win2K and Solaris 8

Post by Chris Lawrenc » Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:27:33

Quote:>Hi,
>I have 2 HDDs,  Primary HDD is Window 2000, and I install Solaris into
>second HDD.
>Can I modify Boot.ini file in Windows2000.
>How can I add an entry in Boot.ini to tell Win2K to boot Solaris in Second
>HDD?

See my other article posted in the last couple of hours regarding using
the dd command to create a boot sector image file and adding it to
boot.ini.  You may need to use the ARC path in boot.ini to denote the
partition - it's been a while since I played with those so I can't
remember.

--
Regards, Chris

boot with 2 OS? Win2K and Solaris 8

Post by Andrew Marchessaul » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:13:46

I used a procedure similar to Chris' with dd after booting from a linux
rescure startup (on CD). I dd'd the solaris mbr on the second HDD to a
windows file. Added the file into the boot.ini , rebooted,  selected solaris
from the Nt boot loader and solaris boots fine.

> >Hi,
> >I have 2 HDDs,  Primary HDD is Window 2000, and I install Solaris into
> >second HDD.
> >Can I modify Boot.ini file in Windows2000.
> >How can I add an entry in Boot.ini to tell Win2K to boot Solaris in
Second
> >HDD?

> See my other article posted in the last couple of hours regarding using
> the dd command to create a boot sector image file and adding it to
> boot.ini.  You may need to use the ARC path in boot.ini to denote the
> partition - it's been a while since I played with those so I can't
> remember.

> --
> Regards, Chris

boot with 2 OS? Win2K and Solaris 8

Post by Chris Lawrenc » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:20:05

Quote:>I used a procedure similar to Chris' with dd after booting from a linux
>rescure startup (on CD). I dd'd the solaris mbr on the second HDD to a
>windows file. Added the file into the boot.ini , rebooted,  selected solaris
>from the Nt boot loader and solaris boots fine.

Yup - don't throw out those free Linux cover CDs!  If you can get to a
root prompt and access dd and mount then it's ideal for this, as well as
being very useful to use fdisk to fix active partitions, view the disk
structure, etc.

If you haven't got a bootable Linux CD, visit www.slackware.com, locate
the 7.1 release and make two floppies - one from bootdsks.144/bare.i and
one from rootdsks/color.gz.  You can use dd or rawrite.exe (in either of
those two directories) to write the images to the disk (as a device, not
fs).

Then simply boot from the bare.i disk and change to the color.gz disk
when prompted.  Login as root and you have access to your hard disks,
dd, mount, fdisk, etc.  Very useful for troubleshooting, especially for
ripping boot sectors for NT's boot.ini.  If you have SCSI disks on a
controller with no BIOS you may need to pass parameters at the inital
boot: prompt.

Just remember that Linux interprets the Solaris partition media
descriptor as describing 'Linx Swap', so don't be surprised to see that
show up but wonder where your Solaris slices went!

--
Regards, Chris

1. win2k + linux: how to boot from win2k os loader

I successfully installed redhat 7.0 on a system which had win2k. I didn't
get the option of choosing where to install LILO. The installation was ok
and I can now dual boot from LILO. I want to restore control to the WIN2k
OS loader. How do I do that? I am afraid that if I just unistall LILO I
will make the whole system unbootable.

2. CDE problems.

3. booting 3 OS's on one machine win98-win2k-linux

4. Problems from Sparc C++ 3.0.1 to 4.0.1

5. OS/2, Win2K, and Boot Manager

6. LILO and the keyboard

7. booting 3 OS's on one machine win98-win2k-linux.

8. Xwindows wont work

9. What is the best partition type for OS X, Win2k, Sparc (solaris) and Linux?

10. Booting Solaris x86 via OS/2's Boot Manager

11. Solaris and Win 95 on the same system booting using OS/2 boot manager

12. solaris 8 install on intel box (multi boot with win98/win2k pro)

13. Dual Boot Win2K & Solaris 8???