I've installed Solaris 2.1 a few weeks ago, and I'm not impressed
with how stable the system is. (Especially openwindows).
I'm running this on a Dell ME with an Adaptec 1740 SCSI controller
and 3COM579 Ethernet card.
The problems I've encountered so far are:
- Openwin hangs on startup. This happens about every third time
I start it. The screen goes yellow and nothing happens as the
video card switches from text mode to graphics mode.
- File manager crashes. It's possible to make the trash can crash ( and
leave a core dump in the trash can.)
- Once I got an I/O error while copying to disk, and the screen went
blank. Suddenly the machine rebooted.
- Sometimes the cursor disappeares in text mode.
- Some programs can stop openwin from reacting. The only way out is
to telnet in from another computer and kill the process.
Does this happen to everyone else ?
I've not added any patches to the system, as they're a bit hard to get
now, with Sun's new policy for distribution of patches.
| | | Anders Skar
|_| _ _| _ _ _ Trondheim College of Engineering
| | | | |_| |_ | _|
Why run Windows when Dosshell is faster and offers taskswitching too?