Printing problems on a Solaris 8 print server

Printing problems on a Solaris 8 print server

Post by Mark Prangnel » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:24:44

Hi there,

I'm currently in the process of setting up a new print server on a Solaris 8
machine, with the recommended patches installed and local printing is
working fine.  The problems start occurring when trying to print remotely
from another system.  Access to the print queue has been setup fine using
admintool on the client machine (Solaris 2.6) and when I try and send a
print job from the command line I get the error message

Error transferring print job #

Anyone got any ideas or tips or advice?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Post by Greg Andre » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:40:54

>Hi there,

>I'm currently in the process of setting up a new print server on a Solaris 8
>machine, with the recommended patches installed and local printing is
>working fine.  The problems start occurring when trying to print remotely
>from another system.  Access to the print queue has been setup fine using
>admintool on the client machine (Solaris 2.6) and when I try and send a
>print job from the command line I get the error message

>Error transferring print job #

On the Solaris 8 machine:

1. Make sure the in.lpd line in /etc/inet/inetd.conf is not commented out.
   if it is, uncomment it and send a HUP signal to inetd.  (or reboot)

2. Run these three commands as root:

        pmadm  -r  -p tcp  -s lp
        pmadm  -r  -p tcp  -s lpd
        pmadm  -r  -p tcp  -s 0      <-- that's the number zero

One or both of those steps will most likely fix the problem.

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

Printing problems on a Solaris 8 print server

Post by Crai » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:44:06

Mark-

A few questions.  Are you running NIS? NIS+?  What does /etc/printers.conf look
like
on the client? on the server?  What do you get when you enter the command:
# lpstat -a
on the client?  How about:
# lpstat -o (that's an oh, not a zero)
And finally, what directories exist on the server in /etc/lp/printers?

I suspect that you've defined the printer wrong on the client and need to get
the right queue
name in the printer definition.  If you have a printer named good_lp on a server
named

though
the print queue on the client is named client_lp.  Make sense?  Am I barking up
the
wrong tree?

Post by Mark Prangnel » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 01:15:31

> >Hi there,

> >I'm currently in the process of setting up a new print server on a
Solaris 8
> >machine, with the recommended patches installed and local printing is
> >working fine.  The problems start occurring when trying to print remotely
> >from another system.  Access to the print queue has been setup fine using
> >admintool on the client machine (Solaris 2.6) and when I try and send a
> >print job from the command line I get the error message

> >Error transferring print job #

> On the Solaris 8 machine:

> 1. Make sure the in.lpd line in /etc/inet/inetd.conf is not commented out.
>    if it is, uncomment it and send a HUP signal to inetd.  (or reboot)

> 2. Run these three commands as root:

> pmadm  -r  -p tcp  -s lp
> pmadm  -r  -p tcp  -s lpd
> pmadm  -r  -p tcp  -s 0      <-- that's the number zero

> One or both of those steps will most likely fix the problem.

>   -Greg
> --

> I have a map of the United States that's actual size
> -- Steven Wright

Cheers mate,

The port listener stuff sorted it out a treat.

Mark

1. printing from Linix to Solaris print server

Our print server here is a Solaris machine setup via HP JetAdmin.
Does anyone know how I confugure Red Hat 6.1 so it I can print duplex and
select trays on HP LaserJets with this setup?
On Solaris you use "lp -oduplex -otray1" etc.  Do I need print filters
on the Linux machine.

(if anyone knows could you email as I rarely read News)

Michael

--
_________

Systems Manager                              Fax: +44 131 220 4492
Quadstone Limited                            WWW: http://www.quadstone.com

2. kernel complie: error?

3. remote printing fails after upgrading print server to Solaris-2.8?

4. 2.5.46-bk6 kconfig errors

5. Solaris Printing With DLink Print Server

6. Outlook *.dbx files under Linux....

7. Print from Solaris to NT print server????

8. Error: No listening sockets at startup

9. Printing from Solaris 2.X or SunOs through a NT Print Server

10. Print from Solaris to Windows 2003 Print Server

11. Printing from OS/2 client to Solaris 2.3 print server

12. problems printing to intel NetportExpress PRO/100 print server with redhat 5.2 linux

13. problem printing 2.5 --> 4.1.3u print server