ALT key, Meta Key on Solaris 5.7 Xterminal

ALT key, Meta Key on Solaris 5.7 Xterminal

Post by Shaozheng Zho » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 07:05:28

Hi, All:

I used the Solaris as x terminal. However, I have problem to map the Alt
Key and Meta Key.
I have to use Meta Key for my emacs. I hope to try like :

  xmodmap -e "keysym BackSpace = Delete"

or try:

% less .Xmodmap clear mod1
clear mod4
add mod1 = Alt_L
add mod4 = Meta_L Meta_R

I still did not get it work.

I am not sure what is the keycode for Alt_L and Alt_R. If I know, I then

let Alt_L or Alt_R mapped to Meta. Actually, Alt Key is also not enabled
in my Solaris 5.7 xterminal.

Any one give me some suggestions?

Cheers,

Zhou

Post by Thomas Dicke » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:07:12

> I am not sure what is the keycode for Alt_L and Alt_R. If I know, I then
> let Alt_L or Alt_R mapped to Meta. Actually, Alt Key is also not enabled
> in my Solaris 5.7 xterminal.
> Any one give me some suggestions?

Try using xev (which shows the keycodes for each key that you press).

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

1. Alt Key, Meta Key on Solaris 5.7 X terminal?

Hi, All:

I access the Solaris 5.7 server as x terminal. However, I can not use
the Alt key and Meta key.

I tried to use xmodmap to map the key.

I also put a .Xmodmap file in my home directory for .xinitrc.
The file contents are:

clear mod1
clear mod4
add mod1 = Alt_L
add mod4 = Meta_L Meta_R
keysym Alt_L = Alt_L Meta_L
keysym Alt_R = Alt_R Meta_R

And the results when I run "xmodmap -pke" are:

keycode   9 =
keycode  10 =
keycode  11 =
keycode  12 =
keycode  13 = Shift_R Shift_R
keycode  14 = Control_R Control_R
keycode  15 = Alt_R Meta_R
keycode  16 = BackSpace Delete
keycode  17 = Tab Tab
keycode  18 = Alt_L Meta_L
keycode  19 =
keycode  20 = Clear Clear
keycode  21 = Return
keycode  22 =
keycode  23 =
keycode  24 = Shift_L Shift_L
keycode  25 = Control_L Control_L
keycode  26 = Menu Menu
keycode  27 = Pause Pause
keycode  28 = Caps_Lock Caps_Lock
keycode  29 = KP_F1 KP_F1
keycode  30 =
keycode  31 =
... ... ...

But the problem is there is no Alt_L Alt_R key. So the association Meta
key to Alt key definitely not
successful.

Any one has good suggestion for fixing my Alt Key problem?

Zhou

2. Win95 - Linux Networking HELP!!!

3. Using <ALT> as META-key in TCSH.

4. Why is PPP so slow?

5. How to detect control, alt or meta key pressed

6. Fs: Specialix board & 24 ports

7. ALT (or META) key doesn't work in syscons.

8. 2.5.1 patch cluster damages root filesystem

9. meta/alt key doesn't work from remotely launched emacs

10. META - ALT key help please

11. Test for [Alt] / Meta key ?

12. Panic: I've lost my Alt/Meta Key!

13. Alt/Meta keys under emacs