IPFilter slowly, other network services slowly....

IPFilter slowly, other network services slowly....

Post by pcma » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 02:06:56

Dear all,

When i start IPFilter on my Solaris 8 (x86), my other network services like

 (telnet, ftp, ssh, pop3......) will very slowly.

What is the problem ??

But, sometime, when i reboot the computer, IPFiter started, the network

services work fine.

But, sometime, when i reboot/boot the computer and start IPFilter, other

network services will very slowly...

What is the problem?? IPFilter bug??

Please help me.

Thanks!!

Post by Akop Pogosia » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 03:17:16

> Dear all,
> When i start IPFilter on my Solaris 8 (x86), my other network services like
>  (telnet, ftp, ssh, pop3......) will very slowly.
> What is the problem ??
> But, sometime, when i reboot the computer, IPFiter started, the network
> services work fine.
> But, sometime, when i reboot/boot the computer and start IPFilter, other
> network services will very slowly...

I have seen similar behavior happen on Solaris 8 with eri network
interfaces and some older version of IP Filter. Upgrade to the latest
version of IP Filter and see if that fixes your problem. If not,
subscribe to the ipfilter mailing list and report your problem with
more details.

-akop

Post by james r phillip » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 09:52:11

> > Dear all,

> > When i start IPFilter on my Solaris 8 (x86), my other network services like

> >  (telnet, ftp, ssh, pop3......) will very slowly.

> > What is the problem ??

> > But, sometime, when i reboot the computer, IPFiter started, the network

> > services work fine.

> > But, sometime, when i reboot/boot the computer and start IPFilter, other

> > network services will very slowly...

> I have seen similar behavior happen on Solaris 8 with eri network
> interfaces and some older version of IP Filter. Upgrade to the latest
> version of IP Filter and see if that fixes your problem. If not,
> subscribe to the ipfilter mailing list and report your problem with
> more details.

> -akop

If you are using hostnames in your ipf rules file instead of addresses,
it will have to resolve the hostnames while it loads the rulesets. That
can slow down starting considerably.

jim
--

Oh great, another canary just died.