ttya console with modem AND PPP on ttya???

ttya console with modem AND PPP on ttya???

Post by Tim Co » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I currently have a Sun IPC with no keyboard or monitor and ttya acting
as the console. Since the IPC is at a remote site, I have a modem
connected to ttya instead of a terminal. I can dial into the site,
login and do sys admin stuff. I can also send a break across the line
so I can get access to the boot prompt. Since I MUST have access to the
boot prompt, I MUST HAVE this modem on ttya.

I would now like to setup PPP to run over this same port, ttya.
Can I do this?
If I have a PPP session running over ttya, would a message (say a "file
system full" message) being sent to /dev/console*up the ppp
session?
Or does the Sun's PPP somehow lock the /dev/term/a port thus blocking
console messages from being sent to /dev/console (and hence
/dev/term/a)?
I guess I could change /etc/syslog.conf to not send out to
/dev/console, but what about programs that just redirect to
/dev/console and don't use the syslog facility? Yes, I know I could
hunt them down and redirect them elsewhere, but what would happen if I
missed one?

Thanks in advance,
tim

--

Seismology, GSC Pacific, Geological Survey of Canada, Natural Resources Canada
1 Observatory Crescent, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1A-0Y3

Post by Phil Hutchins » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>I currently have a Sun IPC with no keyboard or monitor and ttya acting
>as the console. Since the IPC is at a remote site, I have a modem
>connected to ttya instead of a terminal. I can dial into the site,
>login and do sys admin stuff. I can also send a break across the line
>so I can get access to the boot prompt. Since I MUST have access to the
>boot prompt, I MUST HAVE this modem on ttya.

>I would now like to setup PPP to run over this same port, ttya.
>Can I do this?
>If I have a PPP session running over ttya, would a message (say a "file
>system full" message) being sent to /dev/console*up the ppp
>session?
>Or does the Sun's PPP somehow lock the /dev/term/a port thus blocking
>console messages from being sent to /dev/console (and hence
>/dev/term/a)?
>I guess I could change /etc/syslog.conf to not send out to
>/dev/console, but what about programs that just redirect to
>/dev/console and don't use the syslog facility? Yes, I know I could
>hunt them down and redirect them elsewhere, but what would happen if I
>missed one?

>Thanks in advance,
>tim

>--

>Seismology, GSC Pacific, Geological Survey of Canada, Natural Resources Canada
>1 Observatory Crescent, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1A-0Y3

Tim,

I think you'd have problems configuring the Sun port A for dual roles.  I
would suggest that you investigate using a communications server product
such as Lantronix's LRS-2 (see their web site for details).  The Sun TTYA
could be cabled to the LRS-2 port A as a straight serial connection, LRS-2's
port B would host the modem.

The LRS-2's network connection (AUI, BNC or 10-base-2) would be on the
LAN with the Sun workstation.

By dialing into the LRS-2 you could 'attach' to the console TTYA port or
request a telnet session via the network on the Sun.  Also you may wish to
set the LRS-2 up to support a dial up PPP connection to link LANS/WANS.  The
LRS-2 has routing capabilities as well.

Phil

Philip L. Hutchinson,  President     phone:  970-686-1211
ASP Technologies, Inc.                       800-516-0841
1200 Carousel Drive, Suite #103      fax:    970-686-7075
Windsor, Colorado   80550   USA

1. ttya as console

How can I get console function with login prompt on ttya AND
a normal login prompt at bitmap screen/keyboard ?
If doing an 'eeprom input-device=ttya output-device=ttya' I get
the first but not the second.

Thanks,
Martin.

     D-79104 Freiburg; Hermann-Herder-Str.10 / is my opinion unless
            University CC; +49 761 203 4651 / specified otherwise.

2. grep question.

3. : How to set /dev/ttya as console?

4. HOW TO WRITE DRIVER ?

5. Using ttyb when ttya is console on sparc 2

6. Concerning a rumor about AIX and OSF/1

7. Q:Aspppls over SUN SPARC console port (ttya).....

8. 2nd USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST '03)

9. console (ttya) hangs after BREAK (Solaris 2.5.1, Ultra 2/2300)

10. How to change console to ttya in NetBSD for sun3

11. switching console from ttya to monitor/mouse -- ttymon dying

12. Not getting console login over ttya

13. CONSOLE on port ttya