Complete system lockup Sun250R Soalris 8

Complete system lockup Sun250R Soalris 8

Post by Gert Vandela » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:57:27

Hello all,

i've had this most extraordinary hang yesterday of my Sun.
I was logged in on the server from home,
in console mode ...
I was checking some logs, interfaces status ...
and all of a sudden .... death, complete death !!

had to drive to work to manually reboot the machine ...
but the filesystem was completely corrupted, had to do some fancy
fsck'ing to get the system back up ...

Now I was tracking back my shell_history ... and this is what caused
the hang ...

.bash_history
-snip-
ifconfig -a 6
fsck -F usf /dev/md/rdsk/d3
fsck -F ufs /dev/md/rdsk/d3
fsck -F ufs /dev/md/rdsk/d2

I just wanted to list all the NIC's on the machine ... but I mistyped
the "6" in that command ... and that's when the complete death occured
/ and the filesystem got corrupted, although this last could be a
simple consequence of the not so nice shut-down ...
Ah yes, the syslogd / messages also died ...

Any idea why "ifconfig -a 6" would completely kill a SUN 250R with
Solaris 8.

I'd even want to ask some of you to test it out on your own system,
although I wouldn't recommend it on any production server.

Cya,
Gert

Complete system lockup Sun250R Soalris 8

Post by Dust » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:50:39

Quote:

>Any idea why "ifconfig -a 6" would completely kill a SUN 250R with
>Solaris 8.

This just sets the address for all interfaces to 0.0.0.6, which makes the
system unreachable on the network.

Complete system lockup Sun250R Soalris 8

Post by Gert Vandela » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 23:10:01

Hmm, i c ...
i never thought of the "-a" switch as being dangerous stuff, but it
is.

I'm gonna try this out on some other OS's tommorow and see if THEY do
complain about conflicts / missing mask and stuff ...

Cya,
Gert

>>Any idea why "ifconfig -a 6" would completely kill a SUN 250R with
>>Solaris 8.

>This just sets the address for all interfaces to 0.0.0.6, which makes the
>system unreachable on the network.

Complete system lockup Sun250R Soalris 8

Post by Stefaan A Eecke » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:19:30

Quote:> Now I was tracking back my shell_history ... and this is what caused
> the hang ...

> .bash_history
> -snip-
> ifconfig -a 6
> fsck -F usf /dev/md/rdsk/d3
> fsck -F ufs /dev/md/rdsk/d3
> fsck -F ufs /dev/md/rdsk/d2

> Any idea why "ifconfig -a 6" would completely kill a SUN 250R with
> Solaris 8.

Maybe because the effect of this is to reset the subnetmask on
all your interfaces to a ridiculous value :-)

I don't understand why the machine crashed though; maybe because
you're using NFS/NIS and everything ground to a halt without a
working connection to the network. Did you try to log on using
the console?

--
Stefaan