Big, Big Very BIG SCSI DISK

Post by wam » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 02:36:17

Those last days Seagate and Western Digital announce a very big disk
(120-180GB).

Well, this is a big enhancement and big technology jump. But What
about the performance issue. Is there any reason to upgrade to 180GB
disk.

Another thing, what about a system hard drive in a Sun boxes (boot
disk). Imagine a 180GB disk for /, swap and /var and even /apps
(mirrored with a 180GB disk).

With 2/4/9GB disk I have a nice performance with the A5200 but I'm
very skeptical with such huge disk...

Wama.

Big, Big Very BIG SCSI DISK

Post by Circusj.. » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:38:25

Quote:>Those last days Seagate and Western Digital announce a very big disk
>(120-180GB).

>Well, this is a big enhancement and big technology jump. But What
>about the performance issue. Is there any reason to upgrade to 180GB
>disk.

>Another thing, what about a system hard drive in a Sun boxes (boot
>disk). Imagine a 180GB disk for /, swap and /var and even /apps
>(mirrored with a 180GB disk).

>With 2/4/9GB disk I have a nice performance with the A5200 but I'm
>very skeptical with such huge disk...

Yes but think what 22 180 Gig disk would do for the a5200! that would
be 4 Tera Bytes of storage!

Big, Big Very BIG SCSI DISK

Post by Akop Pogosia » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:11:23

> Those last days Seagate and Western Digital announce a very big disk
> (120-180GB).
> Well, this is a big enhancement and big technology jump. But What
> about the performance issue. Is there any reason to upgrade to 180GB
> disk.
> Another thing, what about a system hard drive in a Sun boxes (boot
> disk). Imagine a 180GB disk for /, swap and /var and even /apps
> (mirrored with a 180GB disk).
> With 2/4/9GB disk I have a nice performance with the A5200 but I'm
> very skeptical with such huge disk...
> Wama.

The 180GB Barracuda disk that Seagate announced months ago rotates at
7200RPM, and comes in a 1.6inch form factor. It acieves higher storage
capacity by using  larger than usual number of platers which likely
generates more noise and heat. I don't think it is good (or was
intended) for high performance applications. However, it might be just
good enough for people who just need lots of cheap disk space. I
woudn't consider using this disk without having another that mirrors
it.  Compare the price of two such disks to a D1000 disk array loaded
with 10x36GB 10K RPM disks. Using RAID 1+0 D1000 will achive the storage
capacity close to 180GB and better performance but at a much higher cost ..

--
Akop Pogosian

This space has been intentionally left blank.

Big, Big Very BIG SCSI DISK

Post by Michael Jank » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:10:27

> Those last days Seagate and Western Digital announce a very big disk
> (120-180GB).

> Well, this is a big enhancement and big technology jump. But What
> about the performance issue. Is there any reason to upgrade to 180GB
> disk.

Not if you want to go fast.

Quote:> Another thing, what about a system hard drive in a Sun boxes (boot
> disk). Imagine a 180GB disk for /, swap and /var and even /apps
> (mirrored with a 180GB disk).

> With 2/4/9GB disk I have a nice performance with the A5200 but I'm
> very skeptical with such huge disk...

> Wama.

An array with 10 x 18GB drives or 20 x 9GB drives would be MUCH faster
than a 180 GB drive.

-- Mike

1. Big Big Big CORE Image !!

We have SCO Openserver 5.0.0b on a Corollary CBUS machine with 4 PENTIUM
166 Mhz processors, 64 MB RAM, a RAID with 6 - 4GB Disks and a 3com 3c905
Fast Ethernet card.

After the problem of "WARNING : ip: spinning on PCB Fxxxxxx" that has been
solved thanks to FCO.DIAZ and Jean-Pierre Radley, now we are experiencing a
strange but serious problem.

On this machine we have installed a copy of Conetic C-BASE database rel 3.7
that act as our main database and we are using standard telnet and Xterm
session to connect.

When one of our clients disconnect from the machine without "logout" or
"^D" a big big CORE image ( about 200 MB ) is generated under the directory
where the application is installed, then the machine begin swapping and
paging when this happens and all the users are logged out.

What I checked is that this big big core only happens when the C-BASE menu
command has been in execution on the client session that disconnect.

The menu process then remain PPID 1 and the CORE is generated.

Can anyone please help me ??

I know that there is a core parameters on System V that allow to specify
the soft and hard limit of a core dump file that a process can create (
SCORLIM & HCORLIM ) but I cannot find any spec on Openserver 5.0.

Thank You in advance.

--
Paolo Palmisano
====================

2. SANE 2000 - May 22-25, 2000 (2nd Int'l System Administration & Networking Conference)

3. I have a BIG, BIG,BIG problem with DOSEMU 0.98.5.

4. Help! Spammers are relaying throug me

5. big disk problems - or: big-disk problems?

6. Linux Bible Yggdrasil

7. Big Mystery: LBA for big disk drive?

8. My Progress on setting up Caldera 2.2

9. Directories: how big is too big?

10. How big is a big Linux router?

11. Big Drives....Big Problems

12. Big (REALLY BIG) HD storage & Linux