Faster way to unzip patches?

Post by Angela Spi » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:44:04

I'm sick of using CDE File Manager to unzip patch clusters (need to
hit the space bar forever). There must be a faster way of doing this.
Thanks
Angela

Faster way to unzip patches?

Post by Scott Howar » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:31:55

> I'm sick of using CDE File Manager to unzip patch clusters (need to
> hit the space bar forever). There must be a faster way of doing this.

unzip 9_Recommended.zip

Add a -q after the unzip if you don't want to list each filename as it
unzip's it (especially good if you're on the console or some other slow
link)

  Scott

Faster way to unzip patches?

Post by Dave Uhrin » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:21:44

>> I'm sick of using CDE File Manager to unzip patch clusters (need to
>> hit the space bar forever). There must be a faster way of doing this.

> unzip 9_Recommended.zip

> Add a -q after the unzip if you don't want to list each filename as it
> unzip's it (especially good if you're on the console or some other slow
> link)

Doh!  That requires using the dreaded "Command Line".  A Systems
Administrator cannot do that using clicky-drool.

Faster way to unzip patches?

Post by Tom Hamilto » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:44:22

>>> I'm sick of using CDE File Manager to unzip patch clusters (need to
>>> hit the space bar forever). There must be a faster way of doing this.

>> unzip 9_Recommended.zip

>> Add a -q after the unzip if you don't want to list each filename as it
>> unzip's it (especially good if you're on the console or some other slow
>> link)

> Doh!  That requires using the dreaded "Command Line".  A Systems
> Administrator cannot do that using clicky-drool.

Our term is PACman, Point And Click man.

Faster way to unzip patches?

Post by Dave Uhrin » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:47:28

> Our term is PACman, Point And Click man.

'man' implies at least some minimal knowledge of what one is doing when
administrating a UNIX system.  This, unfortunately, is not the case with
the OP.

Faster way to unzip patches?

Post by r.. » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:17:14

> I'm sick of using CDE File Manager to unzip patch clusters (need to
> hit the space bar forever). There must be a faster way of doing this.
> Thanks
> Angela

You mean more-ing thru the output?  See "man more".  You can skip
as many pages as you want like "99f".  Or set your PAGER env var to
less, in which you can goto the end by "G" or ">" (and still page
back) or "F" (continuously Forward forever)...

Or customize the CDE Unzip action (see the built-in one in
/usr/dt/appconfig/types/C/solaris.dt).