MS-exchange 5.5 DNS configuration on solaris 5.5

MS-exchange 5.5 DNS configuration on solaris 5.5

Post by Doron Ben Avraha » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi
I want to deployan  E-mail account with the ms-exchange 5.5. i got the
notice that i must configure the DNS server. My DNS server resides on Sun
SOLARIS 5.5 could anyone tell me how to configure it
i need to configure an A address and an MX address but i dont know on which
table
(named.boot/named.hosts?)
how do i enter them? (named? Bind? )
Thx

--
Doron Ben Avraham

MS-exchange 5.5 DNS configuration on solaris 5.5

Post by John Aul » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Forgive me if I am wrong, but from the nature of your questions, you don't
sound too familiar with DNS setup's, and if this is the case it would be
worthwile getting the book DNS and BIND from O'Reilly & Associates. You could
land up causing problems, which could be very severe, if you don't know what
you are doing when you change the DNS set up.

For information about the file locations, look in the named.boot file for the
location of the files that hold your DNS data, each of which will be
associated with at particular domain, e.g.

directory /home/named
primary    company.com    db.company

These lines in the named.boot file state that the DNS data files can be found
in the directory /home/named and that the database file for the domain
company.com is called db.company.

When you add the A entry for your MSX server, you also should add a PTR entry
in the associated in-addr.arp file. So, you will have to make three entries,
an A and MX entry in one file and the PTR entry in the related in-addr.arpa
file (which is used for reverse lookups, i.e. getting a text based name from
an IP dotted quad address). Once the changes are made to the files, you need
to increment the revision number of the files and restart BIND or sent it a
HUP signal.

Lastly, test the set up and check the delivery of mail to your MSX server. You
could use utilites like nslookup (available on NT and Unix) to check the DNS

Regards

> Hi
> I want to deployan  E-mail account with the ms-exchange 5.5. i got the
> notice that i must configure the DNS server. My DNS server resides on Sun
> SOLARIS 5.5 could anyone tell me how to configure it
> i need to configure an A address and an MX address but i dont know on which
> table
> (named.boot/named.hosts?)
> how do i enter them? (named? Bind? )
> Thx

> --
> Doron Ben Avraham

1. Portforwarding and Exchange 5.5

I'm using ipchains/ipmasqadm to handle port forwarding on my firewall.

It's set up to fwd traffic destined for port 25 on the external address
to go to an internal host.  This works fine when the host is either a
linux or sun box running sendmail (I can telnet to the external
interface port 25 and I get the appropriate response from the internal
host).

However, when I try to portforward and the internal host is an Exchange
server, it breaks.  I try to telnet to [ext. ip] 25 and I get no
response.

Any ideas?

kernel: 2.2.12.20
ipchains: 1.3.9
ipmasqadm: 0.4.2-3

Exchange: 5.5 SP2
NT 4.0 SP6

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Strange sound behavior on b&w g3

3. Using kmail with exchange 5.5 server

4. DEC 21142 NIC driver

5. Any suggestions regarding an Exchange 5.5 alternative?

6. superprobe not seeing ATI CT Mach 64

7. Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 using FreeBSD as a demand dial router

8. TCP/IP programs??

9. Help: MS Word 5.5 for DOS video drivers

10. Sigalrm on Solaris 5.5<>5.7 ???

11. Opie Problems under Solaris 5.5

12. Term under Solaris 5.5?

13. How to install Sun Solaris 10 inside VMware Workstation 5.5