Screen saver using power management

Post by giarr.. » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello

     We are switching from Solaris 2.5 to Solaris 7, and are
     using CDE instead of OpenWindows.  In OW when the screen
     saver cuts in, it just blanks out the screen.  However,
     when using CDE, the "blanking" screen saver also makes
     the monitor go into power save mode.  People used to
     the instantaneous "wake up" in OW are now annoyed by
     the 8 seconds or so it takes for the monitor to bring
     up the display.  I have disabled power management on
     the workstation, which works for a non-windowing
     environment but does not affect CDE.  We do not want
     to use any of the other screen savers offered with CDE.

     Can anyone give an alternative to CDE's screen saver?
     Thanks in advance!

Frank

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by raule.. » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hello
>      We are switching from Solaris 2.5 to Solaris 7, and are
>      using CDE instead of OpenWindows.  In OW when the screen
>      saver cuts in, it just blanks out the screen.  However,
>      when using CDE, the "blanking" screen saver also makes
>      the monitor go into power save mode.  People used to
>      Can anyone give an alternative to CDE's screen saver?
>      Thanks in advance!

I think the solution is to disable the monitor. My Sony monitor
gives the choice of 5 sec, 1min, 60min, or off for power save mode
(when both horiz and vertical sync turns off?)

-rich auletta

1. Disabling Default Power Management and Screen Saver in CDE.

We're running dual monitors on Blade 2000 Sun Boxes.  The problem is
that the right monitor fails to sync up after the screen saver comes on
or Power management turns the monitors off.  Ideally I would like to
disable both features for all users.

Is there a way of editing the default CDE settings for all users so
that there is no screen saver and Power management defaults to
disabled?  I've found how to disable it in the CDE gui but the
changes do not stick.

Thanks,

2. screen resolution problems with Accel Pro MX

3. Solaris 2.6: screen-saver + power-management

4. netscape crashes ??? !!!

5. Disable screen-saver and low-power standby (monitor black screen)

6. A Device Driver for Pentium Performance Counters

7. Power Management: exiting minicom disables power management?

8. missing shared library using ppp

9. power-down screen saver ?

10. Power dissipation of Sun workstations with screen saver

11. Power-saving screen savers?

12. Problems with Gnome Screen Saver and XScreen Saver

13. X locks, using power saver