How to print some single-sided jobs on duplex printer ?

How to print some single-sided jobs on duplex printer ?

Post by glso » Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi.

We recently got a new HP 8000 DN printer, and the nice thing is
that it's duplex -- saves trees, less paper to carry around, etc.

The problem is that every once in a while people need to print a
a single-sided job, and it's rather inconvenient to go mess with
the control panel on the printer or fire up jetadmin and turn it
to single-sided mode, then remember to turn it back to duplex after
the job is finished (and before some other job gets sent to the
printer).

Oh, our print server runs on Solaris and we use jetadmin to manage
all our printers.

I've done some digging, and found out that some admins managed to
either use a wrapper to lp/lpr and pass a flag that turns
double-sided printing off for one job at a time, or give the printer
two different names, one for single-sided jobs and the other for
double-sided ones.

Can somebody who has done any of the above please help me out ?

Thanks much,

Gabriel Somlo

PS. I've faked my email to avoid spam, so please remove all uppercase
characters from my email address if you want to write me personally...

Post by Greg Andre » Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:00:00

>Oh, our print server runs on Solaris and we use jetadmin to manage
>all our printers.

The Jetadmin software supports the 'simplex' option to select
single-sided printing:

Original command:  lp -d printer filename

 Simplex command:  lp -d printer -o simplex filename

This should override the default setting for just that one
print job.  A wrapper script around the lp or lpr command
is not necessary.

  -Greg

Post by Andreas Stolc » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 09:12:52

>I've done some digging, and found out that some admins managed to
>either use a wrapper to lp/lpr and pass a flag that turns
>double-sided printing off for one job at a time, or give the printer
>two different names, one for single-sided jobs and the other for
>double-sided ones.

The lp simplex options seems to be the way to go, but if that doesn't work
for some reason, AND you are printing postscript files, AND your printer
interprets postscript natively, then the following should work.
Prepend the following bit of PS code to your file:

%!
% put printer in non-duplex mode
<</Duplex false>> setpagedevice

--

Speech Technology and Research Laboratory       Phone (650) 859-2544
SRI International, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA    Fax (650) 859-5984

Post by Stewart C. Russel » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 04:00:00

>The problem is that every once in a while people need to print a
>a single-sided job

>Oh, our print server runs on Solaris and we use jetadmin to manage
>all our printers.

lp -o simplex ... works for all my jetadmin-managed duplex printers.

--

 "Hang on... This is the real thing... The truth, my friend,
  and nothing but the truth" - Mervyn Peake

Post by Toomas Soom » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 04:00:00

: either use a wrapper to lp/lpr and pass a flag that turns
: double-sided printing off for one job at a time, or give the printer
: two different names, one for single-sided jobs and the other for
: double-sided ones.

: Can somebody who has done any of the above please help me out ?

%!PS
[{
%%BeginFeature: *Duplex Off (1-Sided)
<</Duplex false>> setpagedevice
%%EndFeature

Quote:} stopped cleartomark

put this at the head of your ps file... anyway, if you have windows system
handy, set different print options in windows and print to file. so you
can find some other useful information.... (you need the right ps draive
in windows of course:)

toomas
--
Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you remember.
                -- Oscar Levant

How to print some single-sided jobs on duplex printer ?

Post by Martin Schroed » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>% put printer in non-duplex mode
><</Duplex false>> setpagedevice

This will work in _most_ cases. The correct code is _always_ found in
the printer's PPD.

Best regards
        Martin

--

^|\bye|| % This is the way the file ends, not with a \bang but a \bye.|
                               Donald E. Knuth, TeXbook.TeX line 18979

1. HP Jet Direct 6.1.5: setting duplex or single-sided mode.

In earlier versions of the HP Jet Direct driver software
(specifically those for SunOS) there was a parameter for
setting duplexing on or off.  We would define one queue
for single-sided mode, and another for duplex mode.
In HP Jet Direct 6.1.5 for Solaris, this parameter
does not seem to exist anymore, or appears to be hidden.

What do I need to do to set whether or not I want duplexing
on or off using Jet Direct 6.1.5?

--
Jim Grybowski

http://members.bigfoot.com/~grybo

2. Port fowarding

3. single-sided or double-sided SIMM?

4. How do I create a signature block?

5. single-sided printer control

6. More robust fsck at boot time

7. How to get a single sided page out of duplex HP laserjet?

8. gpm interfering the shutdown process

9. kprinter - pamphlet printing - large side duplex?

10. How to print on both sides(DUPLEX)?

11. remote printer won't print non plain text print jobs.

12. Hung Print Jobs: Printer Driver for DataProducts Line Printer

13. Duplexing a Print Job