Kernel eating 50-80% of CPU (oracle server)

Kernel eating 50-80% of CPU (oracle server)

Post by NetComrad » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi folks,

I have a problem which appeared today, all of a sudden the load on the
machine went up, and the TOP command showed something like 50-80% of
CPU usage. Any suggestions on how this might happen?
e4500/6GIG Ram/little iowait

Also, I thought this might be coming from Oracle creating 4 dedicated
servers a sec, so I got it down to a lower amount, but still getting a
high load.

THanx.

Kernel eating 50-80% of CPU (oracle server)

Post by Charles Hansi » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

When you  ran the top command, which area was taking up most of the
processor time: user, system, nice .... I know that if the system goes up
substantially and the %free goes down, that can point at some disk binding.
Also, can you target the exact processes that are dragging your system down?

Jim H.

Quote:> Hi folks,

> I have a problem which appeared today, all of a sudden the load on the
> machine went up, and the TOP command showed something like 50-80% of
> CPU usage. Any suggestions on how this might happen?
> e4500/6GIG Ram/little iowait

> Also, I thought this might be coming from Oracle creating 4 dedicated
> servers a sec, so I got it down to a lower amount, but still getting a
> high load.

> THanx.

Kernel eating 50-80% of CPU (oracle server)

Post by Winnie Li » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I don't think that fact that Oracle generating 4 dedictated servers a sec
will eat up that much memory. But do show us the exact Oracle process that
shown in the TOP command in order to troubleshoot. The Information that you
gave out is way too little.

Winnie Liu
DBA
Infonet Services Corporation

>Hi folks,

>I have a problem which appeared today, all of a sudden the load on the
>machine went up, and the TOP command showed something like 50-80% of
>CPU usage. Any suggestions on how this might happen?
>e4500/6GIG Ram/little iowait

>Also, I thought this might be coming from Oracle creating 4 dedicated
>servers a sec, so I got it down to a lower amount, but still getting a
>high load.

>THanx.

Kernel eating 50-80% of CPU (oracle server)

Post by Chris Hamilto » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:18:25 -0700, "Winnie Liu"

>I don't think that fact that Oracle generating 4 dedictated servers a sec
>will eat up that much memory. But do show us the exact Oracle process that
>shown in the TOP command in order to troubleshoot. The Information that you
>gave out is way too little.

>Winnie Liu
>DBA
>Infonet Services Corporation

You can reduce CPU usage dramatically by configuring the
Multi-Threaded Server (MTS) option.  A pool of servers are pre-spawned
and used by connections as needed.  Great for web-type apps which
create and destroy many sessions in rapid succession.

Docs are not great, but I have examples if you need them.

Chris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Christopher Hamilton
Oracle DBA -- Sandbox.com

http://www.sandbox.com/

Kernel eating 50-80% of CPU (oracle server)

Post by Anil Kamat » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

We have a dedicated server configuration, and we have
web type apps, but we do a connection pooling at the
middleware app servers, and therefore limit the number
of dedicated server processes. This is similar to what
Oracle MTS does, but this is done at the middleware.

-anil

--
Anil Kamath
SmartOnline Inc. (www.smartonline.com)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Kernel eating 50-80% of CPU (oracle server)

Post by Gerry Sinkiewic » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

We had a server doing this kind of thing yesterday.

Today they replaced one of the cpu's. The machine, an E3000, rebooted itself at
4:07 AM taking
one instance with it; recovered ok using a hot backup from yesterday.