How to add a local printer on parallel port of Ultra 10 with Solaris 2.6

How to add a local printer on parallel port of Ultra 10 with Solaris 2.6

Post by Patrick Roqcue » Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to add a printer which is connected to the parallel port of an
Ultra 10 running with Solaris 2.6. The admintool offers only the two serial
ports (/etc/term/a and /etc/term/b). I cannot find any printer file under
/etc. Is this the cause of the problem? How do I solve it?

TIA

P Rocques

How to add a local printer on parallel port of Ultra 10 with Solaris 2.6

Post by Stelios Daskalaki » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

in ultra5/10
use /dev/ecpp0

> I am trying to add a printer which is connected to the parallel port of an
> Ultra 10 running with Solaris 2.6. The admintool offers only the two serial
> ports (/etc/term/a and /etc/term/b). I cannot find any printer file under
> /etc. Is this the cause of the problem? How do I solve it?

> TIA

> P Rocques

1. Parallel Printer on Ultra 10/Solaris 2.6

I have a HP LaserJet 5MP connected to the parallel port of an Ultra 10
running Solaris 2.6.  Here are the commands I issued to setup the
printer, where $device = /dev/ecpp0:

lpadmin -p $printer -v $device
chmod 600 $device
chown lp.lp $device
lpadmin -p $printer -T PS -I postscript -H
accept $printer
enable $printer

This is the error I receive in /var/spool/lp/logs/lpsched:

12/11 12:13:50: printer fault. type: write Rdpk, status: 14
msg: (Failed to open the printer port. (Device busy))

I have double checked the connections to make sure they were secure and
to the right port.  No matter what I try I receive this same message.

Any suggestions or pointers to where I might resolve this?

Thanks,
Dennis
--

Network Administrator
College of Engineering, MSU

2. Web server not visible to the outside world

3. upgrade from Ultra-2 to Ultra-10, and Solaris 2.6 to 2.7

4. SCO -> Linux

5. Setting Display Resolution Ultra 10 / Solaris 2.6

6. ipchains log messages, where do they go?

7. Ultra 10 w Utra-SparcIIi, 440MHZ and Solaris 2.6

8. Secure Web Servers for Linux?????

9. How to configure monitor resolution on a Ultra 10 + Solaris 2.6?

10. Downgrading Solaris 7 to 2.6 server on ultra 10

11. Can't format JAZ disks on Ultra-10 with Solaris 2.6

12. Amusing problem with date on Ultra 10, Solaris 2.6 install

13. xmcd on Ultra 10 under Solaris 2.6