w, who, finger, whodo miss xterm connections

w, who, finger, whodo miss xterm connections

Post by Richard Steinberg » Sat, 13 Mar 1993 09:00:12

        A feature of questionable value to Solaris is that common
"who's logged on" commands no longer (as in 4.1.3) display information
about people connected via xterms.  While "technically" they are not
logged in (.login doesn't run), they certainly are "there."
w, who, finger, whodo fail to display such people, and it seems to me
that ps is the only option left for displaying "everyone."  This is
inconvenient because of the need to appropriately filter the output.

        Has anyone discovered a way around this?  Thanks in advance
for any hints/suggestions.  What I want is the SunOS 4.1.3 behavior of
w, who, and finger.  Sigh . . . . . .

ric steinberger

Post by Ti » Sun, 14 Mar 1993 00:24:01

|>   A feature of questionable value to Solaris is that common
|> "who's logged on" commands no longer (as in 4.1.3) display information

Where did you get your xterm from for 4.1.3?  The MIT xterm, by default when run
with `-ls', logs in utmp but not in wtmp or lastlog.  It can be persuaded to log
in wtmp and lastlog by options in the Imakefile when compiling xterm.

|> about people connected via xterms.  While "technically" they are not
|> logged in (.login doesn't run), they certainly are "there."
|> w, who, finger, whodo fail to display such people, and it seems to me
|> that ps is the only option left for displaying "everyone."  This is
|> inconvenient because of the need to appropriately filter the output.

I can't say I'm sure about the status of wtmp and lastlog in SunOS 5, but both
the OpenWindows-supplied xterm and the MIT xterm seem to be logging correct for
w, who and finger, for me at least.  (This is SunOS 5.1 on an SS10/20)

Tim.
---
University of Cambridge Computing Service - Unix-Support

Tim Auckland
Not to be taken seriously...

Post by Ian Dickins » Sun, 14 Mar 1993 03:24:41

>I can't say I'm sure about the status of wtmp and lastlog in SunOS 5, but both
>the OpenWindows-supplied xterm and the MIT xterm seem to be logging correct for
>w, who and finger, for me at least.  (This is SunOS 5.1 on an SS10/20)

For wmtp, using -DWTMP in mit/clients/xterm/Imakefile works as before(*)
For lastlog, I haven't seen any evidence that it actually exists under 5.1

(*) Caveat:  It writes entries, but needs to be made to use pututxline()
(I think) since it doesn't seem to create the stuff in wtmpx as used by last(1)

Cheers,
--
\/ato - Ian*inson - NIC handle: ID17          This article is dedicated to

Post by Charles Hedri » Wed, 17 Mar 1993 13:16:03

>    A feature of questionable value to Solaris is that common
>"who's logged on" commands no longer (as in 4.1.3) display information
>about people connected via xterms.

Make xterm setuid root.  The necessary code is there -- Sun seems
to have fixed it up to know about utmpx.  But it has to be made
setuid in order to write to utmp, etc.  Note that xterm is designed
to be safe to run setuid.

1. Finger's Idle time on incoming PPP connections - what's the connection?

Does anyone know what controls the Idle time displayed by finger on
incoming ppp connections?

I can't figure it out. Sometimes I see data being sent & received
through my modems, but finger shows the users as idle. At other times
(I think), finger says they're not idle but there's no data going back
and forward.

I have 2.0.27 and PPP 2.2.0f (or whatever the most recent version is).

2. Linux won't boot

3. FINGER: How can I know who is fingering or fingered me?

4. sendmail queing but not delivering

5. utmp xterm and finger problems on Sol 2.4

6. Error in FreeBSD 4.5 documentation?

7. Who, finger & xterm

8. pppd suid

9. finger missing last logon time

10. whodo output

11. last line of output missing in xterms

12. How to refuse connection from finger ??

13. Tracing connections to finger