raid5 disk limit

Post by Vernon Wood » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I am running Solaris 2.5.1 on a Sun Enterprise 5000 server and have 2 SPARC
disk storage arrays managed by Veritas Volume Manager.
I have heard, although I can't find any documentation,  that there is a
limit of 6 physical disks allowed per Raid5 volume.
Does anyone know if this is true or where I might find information on disk
limits for using Raid5 or Raid1 with a SPARC storage array?  The manuals
provided give many specifications but do not mention a limit based on
number of disks.
Thanks for any assistance.
Vernon Woods

raid5 disk limit

Post by RAIDE » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Vernon,

there shouldn't be any limits on how many drives you can use. Most
likely, 6 drive "limit" is the "sweet spot" for performance. When you do
software RAID, your system performance will start to degrade after you
exceed a certain number of drives that you stripe across.

RAIDER

> I am running Solaris 2.5.1 on a Sun Enterprise 5000 server and have 2 SPARC
> disk storage arrays managed by Veritas Volume Manager.
> I have heard, although I can't find any documentation,  that there is a
> limit of 6 physical disks allowed per Raid5 volume.
> Does anyone know if this is true or where I might find information on disk
> limits for using Raid5 or Raid1 with a SPARC storage array?  The manuals
> provided give many specifications but do not mention a limit based on
> number of disks.
> Thanks for any assistance.
> Vernon Woods

1. what is the exact raid5 limit (2TB (can i use 12 or 13*180GB?))

I really want to create this raid this week
so is there anyone with info what will be the limit ?

-

2. Strange case: floppy access heat up CPU

3. Transfer old Raid5 on new Raid5 ?

4. [2.5] reiserfs changeset 2 of 15 for 2.5.21

5. SCSI disk drive geometry limits hard disk choices?

6. LILO and default booted drive

7. Multi disk performance (8 disks), limit 230 MB/s

8. sockets

9. Compaq RAID5 Disk Accesses Interfere With Keyboard/Mouse Input at Console

10. Intra-Disk for LV on RAID5?

11. Disk Read Errors, RH 8.0, SMP, RAID5

12. IBM ssa disk & raid5

13. raid5 with 18 or 36 GByte disks