Reading the services new entries without rebooting

Reading the services new entries without rebooting

Post by Joao Rodrigue » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:54:51

I've added some new entries in /etc/services file in an unix box running
solaris 7.
Is it possible to the unix box assume the new entries in this file
without rebooting ?
How?

Thank you,

Jo?o Rodrigues

Post by Tony Walto » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:05:33

> I've added some new entries in /etc/services file in an unix box running
> solaris 7.
> Is it possible to the unix box assume the new entries in this file
> without rebooting ?
> How?

You already did.  You don't need to reboot after adding things to
/etc/services

--
Tony Walton

Reading the services new entries without rebooting

Post by Joao Rodrigue » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:01:00

Thank you.

Jo?o Rodrigues

> > I've added some new entries in /etc/services file in an unix box running
> > solaris 7.
> > Is it possible to the unix box assume the new entries in this file
> > without rebooting ?
> > How?

> You already did.  You don't need to reboot after adding things to
> /etc/services

> --
> Tony Walton

Reading the services new entries without rebooting

Post by Joao Rodrigue » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:00:45

Thsnk you.

Jo?o Rodrigues

> > I've added some new entries in /etc/services file in an unix box running
> > solaris 7.
> > Is it possible to the unix box assume the new entries in this file
> > without rebooting ?
> > How?

> You already did.  You don't need to reboot after adding things to
> /etc/services

> --
> Tony Walton

1. restarting services without rebooting

I have been making changes to the conf.modules and lilo.conf files in
order to get Linux to recognize two NICs (no success yet, thanks to all
for the suggestions).

What would be very helpful would be to know the commands that restart
network services and reload lilo (wthout rebooting). At the current time
whenever I change one of these two files I shutdown and restart, which
takes a lot of time (particularly on this old machine). There must be a
better way. If there are commands that shutdown these services, reload
these files and then restart the services, I would appeciate knowing
what they are. I've looked through my books and cannot find them.

Thanks in advance!

Ken Russell
Note: delete ".nospam" from email address whenn replying

2. PPP auto always connects

3. Restart a service without rebooting

4. Just need a file to reach 800 * 600 video mode

5. Entry in /etc/services not being read

6. Newbie upgrade question

7. How to have Linux re-read all the configuration file without reboot?

8. 2.x binaries @ murdoch.edu.au ?

9. reading hosts* without reboot?

10. use new router settings without rebooting

11. create new part without to reboot

12. new inetd.conf without reboot

13. How to force recognizing a new device without reboot