SS-20SX frame buffer woes

Post by Peter Maurice-Jon » Sat, 28 May 1994 18:38:47

Hey - can someone tell me how to fire up the frame buffer on a SS-20 SX ???

I've got 32Meg memory in mine but was not given any documentation :-(

*PLEASE* help me if you can.

SS-20SX frame buffer woes

Post by almonds.. » Sun, 05 Jun 1994 16:00:29

We may be having the same problem here. . . trying to boot the SS20SX with
32Mb Ram results in an error message that default framebuffer is not found.
After installing Solaris 1.1.1, trying to start OpenWindows results in an
error message "can't find frame buffer"

Documentation provided with system is nonexistent/pathetic.

Have placed three calls to different Sun tech support people, no answer yet.

Has anyone out there solved this problem yet?

Anxiously waiting to run windows. . .

Thanks in advance,

Dave Mandelkern
AlmondSeed Software, Inc.

SS-20SX frame buffer woes

Post by Peter Maurice-Jon » Sun, 05 Jun 1994 19:56:39

Quote:>We may be having the same problem here. . . trying to boot the SS20SX with
>32Mb Ram results in an error message that default framebuffer is not found.
>After installing Solaris 1.1.1, trying to start OpenWindows results in an
>error message "can't find frame buffer"

>Documentation provided with system is nonexistent/pathetic.

>Have placed three calls to different Sun tech support people, no answer yet.

>Has anyone out there solved this problem yet?

I found out that you need video SIMMS in order to use the SS-20 SX framebuffer.
These SIMMS dont come with a SS-20 server (just the SS-20 station).

so now you know why it came so cheap ;-)

check out inside your pizza box for 1 (or 2) video SIMMS along side the
memory SIMMS - I bet you aint got any :-(

Shame the manual is so thin and crappy

Quote:>Anxiously waiting to run windows. . .

>Thanks in advance,

>Dave Mandelkern
>AlmondSeed Software, Inc.

SS-20SX frame buffer woes

Post by David P. Ke » Tue, 07 Jun 1994 06:14:53

>>We may be having the same problem here. . . trying to boot the SS20SX with
>>32Mb Ram results in an error message that default framebuffer is not found.

>I found out that you need video SIMMS in order to use the SS-20 SX framebuffer.
>These SIMMS dont come with a SS-20 server (just the SS-20 station).

>check out inside your pizza box for 1 (or 2) video SIMMS along side the
>memory SIMMS - I bet you aint got any :-(

Since Dave mentioned he has an "SS20SX", one would presume he has
a workstation with a frame buffer, with part numbers like:

S20FSX-...  4MB SX, 17" monitor
S20SX-...   4MB SX, 20" monitor
S20SX8-...  8MB SX, 20" monitor

and not a server (part number S20S-...).  Therefore, I'd bet he does
have SIMMS inside.  The lack of a monitor might also be a clue that
the system was a server; I'd be willing to bet he would have noticed
a missing monitor without even opening the pizza box.

The SX requires a driver.  I know you need to load the SUNWleo
package to get ZX support, but I don't remember seeing a SUNWspam
package for the SX - perhaps it's called something else.

"If it doesn't have an analogy, it isn't Usenet (tm)"

SS-20SX frame buffer woes

Post by almonds.. » Thu, 09 Jun 1994 00:13:39

You bet we have a monitor! (17" color). We bought this as a package from
Sun; 1 SS20SX w/17" color monitor, and SOlaris 1.1.1 OS.

It turns out that Solaris 1.1.1 does not support the SX graphics card at all.

We now need to find a GX or TGX graphics card/frame buffer and figure out
how to install it instead of the SX.

Anyone have any ideas>

Dave Mandelkern
AlmondSeed Software, Inc.

SS-20SX frame buffer woes

Post by David L. Markowi » Thu, 09 Jun 1994 07:06:08

>We may be having the same problem here. . . trying to boot the SS20SX with
>32Mb Ram results in an error message that default framebuffer is not found.
>After installing Solaris 1.1.1, trying to start OpenWindows results in an

                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:>error message "can't find frame buffer"

Sun has made it very clear (at least to me) that the SX requires
Solaris 2.3 or later.  1.1.1 does not have any drivers for it.

--

        David L. Markowitz
        Solaris Systems Division - Genisco Technology Corporation

SS-20SX frame buffer woes

Post by Kevin Hayes (Just another rip in the space-time continu » Fri, 10 Jun 1994 01:37:52

>>>We may be having the same problem here. . . trying to boot the SS20SX with
>>>32Mb Ram results in an error message that default framebuffer is not found.

>>I found out that you need video SIMMS in order to use the SS-20 SX framebuffer.
>>These SIMMS dont come with a SS-20 server (just the SS-20 station).

>>check out inside your pizza box for 1 (or 2) video SIMMS along side the
>>memory SIMMS - I bet you aint got any :-(
>Since Dave mentioned he has an "SS20SX", one would presume he has
>a workstation with a frame buffer, with part numbers like:
>S20FSX-...  4MB SX, 17" monitor
>S20SX-...   4MB SX, 20" monitor
>S20SX8-...  8MB SX, 20" monitor
>and not a server (part number S20S-...).  Therefore, I'd bet he does
>have SIMMS inside.  The lack of a monitor might also be a clue that
>the system was a server; I'd be willing to bet he would have noticed
>a missing monitor without even opening the pizza box.
>The SX requires a driver.  I know you need to load the SUNWleo
>package to get ZX support, but I don't remember seeing a SUNWspam
>package for the SX - perhaps it's called something else.

        The pkg is called SUNWsx.  It must be in the cluster
        of pkgs installed or the "Cannot find console fb" mesg will
        appear.

        K++

Post by David L. Markowi » Fri, 10 Jun 1994 06:11:28

>You bet we have a monitor! (17" color). We bought this as a package from
>Sun; 1 SS20SX w/17" color monitor, and SOlaris 1.1.1 OS.

>It turns out that Solaris 1.1.1 does not support the SX graphics card at all.

*Sigh*

To repeat:  the SX is *not* a "card".  It consists of logic built into
the memory controller of the SS20 (and is always there no matter what
SS20 configuration you bought) and 1 or 2 VSIMMs.  It takes zero (0)
SBus slots.

Sun should not gave sold you this configuration without warning you.

Quote:>We now need to find a GX or TGX graphics card/frame buffer

Sun should replace your 4 MB VSIMM with a TGX at no cost - the
configured cost of a 20SX and a 20TGX is the same.

Quote:>and figure out how to install it instead of the SX.

Take out the VSIMM and put in the TGX SBus card.
--

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 11 Jun 1994 03:14:41

: Take out the VSIMM and put in the TGX SBus card.

What does VSIMM stand for?

SS-20SX frame buffer woes

Post by David L. Markowi » Sun, 12 Jun 1994 03:43:11

>: Take out the VSIMM and put in the TGX SBus card.
>What does VSIMM stand for?

Video Single Inline Memory Module.  A special king of SIMM with high-speed,

simultaneously too).  They sit in the memory SIMM banks.

Read "Platform Notes: SPARCstation 10SX System Configuration Guide"
in your local answerbook.
--

Post by Philip Bro » Sun, 12 Jun 1994 16:09:15

: Read "Platform Notes: SPARCstation 10SX System Configuration Guide"
: in your local answerbook.

Hmm... Well, I don't think that is in anything but the sysadmin's
answerbook.
$170 for the cd? ug.

SS-20SX frame buffer woes

Post by David L. Markowi » Wed, 15 Jun 1994 06:05:28

>: Read "Platform Notes: SPARCstation 10SX System Configuration Guide"
>: in your local answerbook.
>Hmm... Well, I don't think that is in anything but the sysadmin's
>answerbook.

Actually, it's in the "Solaris 2.3 on Sun Hardware Answerbook".

Quote:>$170 for the cd? ug.

How do you plan to manage a system without [access to] either the CD
or hardcopy manuals?  It's only 46 pages.  Have a friend print you a
copy, or mail you the postscript.

Besides, $170 for system manuals is cheap, especially with a nice search
engine!
--

Post by Dave Hi » Wed, 15 Jun 1994 19:37:15

: After installing Solaris 1.1.1, trying to start OpenWindows results in an
: error message "can't find frame buffer"

Hopefully you installed Solaris 1.1.1, Sunsoft version "B", otherwise it
won't go because there is no support for the SX frame buffer! Judging by
the message you get, this is the case.

See the "Product Notes - SPARCstation 20 Solaris Requirements" leaflet
packed with the machine.

--

Employed by, but not speaking for: Computervision Ltd     +44 223 872377 x352
                                Harston Mill, Harston, Cambridge, CB2 5NH, UK

SS-20SX frame buffer woes

Post by Dave Hi » Sun, 19 Jun 1994 00:49:34

: Hopefully you installed Solaris 1.1.1, Sunsoft version "B", otherwise it
: won't go because there is no support for the SX frame buffer! Judging by
: the message you get, this is the case.

If I'd had my brain in at the time, I would have remembered that the SX
is *NOT SUPPORTED* under Solaris 1. Period. Nor is it in anything
earlier than 2.3.

Thanks to Greg Onufer for reminding me.