login accounts break

Post by Chuck Folde » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have a nuisance on our Solaris 2.5 SUNSparc 20. We have approx. 1300
accounts, and at least a couple a month "break". Even if root changes the
password for these accounts, their telnet sessions are immediately
terminated when they enter their password - rather than Login incorrect.
I have viewed the passwd & shadow files on these accounts and not noticed
anything irregular. The current work around is to userdel loginname,
recreate account, chmod loginname ~loginname /var/mail/loginname
/var/spool/poptemp/.loginname.pop
I presume something simple is going on,but haven't guessed it yet.

login accounts break

Post by Steve Bellen » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>I have a nuisance on our Solaris 2.5 SUNSparc 20. We have approx. 1300
>accounts, and at least a couple a month "break". Even if root changes the
>password for these accounts, their telnet sessions are immediately
>terminated when they enter their password - rather than Login incorrect.
>I have viewed the passwd & shadow files on these accounts and not noticed
>anything irregular. The current work around is to userdel loginname,
>recreate account, chmod loginname ~loginname /var/mail/loginname
>/var/spool/poptemp/.loginname.pop
>I presume something simple is going on,but haven't guessed it yet.

I saw something similar with our SGI. The other system admin had
added a .logout file with kill -HUP -1. The standard console
login on SGI runs a login shell just to get the env, which when
it exit killed everything. Note in this case, people could telnet
just fine, it was only the console login which died.

How does help you? I am not sure. I would wait for the next failure
to come by, and start insert echo statements (perhaps >> /tmp/$LOGNAME.$$)
into their dot files to see how far they actually get.
--

1. Make broken, top broken, flock errors, kernel modules broken

So many repetitive messages asking the same questions!  Does noone bother
to grep the topics for possible solutions?

Here are some of the answers to your problems:

If you upgrade to ELF libraries, you need an ELF linker:  get new ld.so.

If you upgrade your kernel, you will likely need to upgrade to (or higher):
termcap 2.0.8, proc-ps.0.99a, libc 5.3.12 (see below!), modules-1.3.69f,
gcc 2.7.2.

If you upgrade your libc, you will need to patch or upgrade make to make
3.74.

It may possible that when you upgrade your compiler, you may need to
install a new (ELF) libc.

William Burrow  --  Fredericton Area Network

2. Apache---how many VirtualHosts?

3. 2.5: ieee1394 still broken, vesafb still broken, ipv6 still broken

4. Printer prints 2 copies always

5. linuxconf broken for managing user accounts? (newbie)

6. How can I reformat my linux patition?

7. Sysadmin /Account broken 3.2.4

8. Shell to delete old files

9. IP Accounting broke?

10. System Accounting Broke in 2.8

11. 00_drop-broken-flock-account-1

12. scoadmin -> Account Manager -> Users -> Add New Users breaks /etc/password symlink

13. Accounting broke in 1.1.54