cpio

Post by tink » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:57:08

Hi Unix gurus,
                       I would like to have some examples of cpio
command which will backup a my home directory to another disk on my
system plz give the syntax or an example how to backup i am struggling
plz help me new to solaris.

i am using sun solaris10 and i have one disk c0t0d0s4 where my home
direcotry resides which is /export/home/myhome and i would like to
backup it up on to another disk c0t2d0s5 slice and to a backup folder
named bkp on that particular slice.

it would be better if u give an example to me..

          Thanks for all suggestions in advance.

cpio

Post by Dan Cav » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:22:53

Best to use either UFSDUMP or FSSNAP.

ufsdump will let you backup the raw partition with your data on it,
whereas fssnap does a snapshot in time.

use man fssnap and man ufsdump.

> Hi Unix gurus,
>                        I would like to have some examples of cpio
> command which will backup a my home directory to another disk on my
> system plz give the syntax or an example how to backup i am struggling
> plz help me new to solaris.

> i am using sun solaris10 and i have one disk c0t0d0s4 where my home
> direcotry resides which is /export/home/myhome and i would like to
> backup it up on to another disk c0t2d0s5 slice and to a backup folder
> named bkp on that particular slice.

> it would be better if u give an example to me..

>           Thanks for all suggestions in advance.

cpio

Post by Dan Cav » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:25:07

Tinku, reading on, you could use this cpio/find comand combo.

find $HOME -cpio -ov /<wherever c0t2d0s5 is mounted on /

Quote:>/home-<yourusername>.cpio

or ufsdump

/usr/bin/ufsdump 0f /<wherever c0t2d0s5 is mounted on / >/home.ufsdump
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s4

Post by Chris Co » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 00:56:14

> Hi Unix gurus,
>                        I would like to have some examples of cpio
> command which will backup a my home directory to another disk on my
> system plz give the syntax or an example how to backup i am struggling
> plz help me new to solaris.

> i am using sun solaris10 and i have one disk c0t0d0s4 where my home
> direcotry resides which is /export/home/myhome and i would like to
> backup it up on to another disk c0t2d0s5 slice and to a backup folder
> named bkp on that particular slice.

> it would be better if u give an example to me..

>           Thanks for all suggestions in advance.

cd /export/home/myhome
find . -depth -print | cpio -pdmv /bkp