Help. I'm Stumped. Diskless Client Pbm.

Post by Frank Cusac » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Ok,

>   I'm stumped big time.  I have a diskless client booted off a Sparc1000
> server. It boots with no problems (that are evident).  It mounts its root
> directory and all subdirectories from the server.  Now here's the problem.
> If I cd to the /home directory (on the diskless client) and try to create a
> sub-directory, I get the message "mkdir  directoryname: Operation not
> applicable".  If I go to the server, cd to /export/root/clientname (where the

[...]

Quote:

>  I need to make some sub-directories on the diskless client to install some
> software.  can anybody give me some help or point in the right direction?

It's in the Solaris FAQ. /home is auto-mounted.

~frank

--
Frank Cusack       **       Icon CMT Corp.       **       PGP: C001AA75
"One World. One Web. One Program."  -Microsoft promotional adverti*t

1. newbie: which diskless(hd) distro for firewall w/wifi 'client' ??

I'd like to use an available no-hard-drive distribution for setting up
a residential gateway/firewall on a weak box; The firewall needs to connect
to the trusted network
via wifi client.

I managed to load RH 8.0 (disk attached) and get it to successfully use
orinoco_pci
on the wifi card.... (have not managed to get RH act as the gateway tho')

But, how difficult is it to recompile this module(and dependencies) to the
usually stale
kernel versions used in these small distributions?

OR

how do you know how sensitive/compatible a module compiled for one kernel
is to close kernel versions? i.e.: are all network modules compiled for
2.4.XX-xx kernel
usable under any  2.4.YY-yy kernel?

thanks
darrellm

2. running X with an 8900C2.1 card . X just gives up. help

3. My diskless client won't boot

4. Cd Writing Unsuccessful

5. Diskless Client / Dumb Client

6. linux instructor needed

7. diskless client can't find root

8. Remote NT reboot.

9. Diskless clients won't boot off correct server

10. Diskless Client / Dumb Client

11. Diskless client doesn't start kdm

12. Can't setup diskless client under Solaris - inconsistent media

13. Diskless client can't start openwin?