root "no shell" boo-boo

Post by Don Turrenti » Thu, 24 Nov 1994 04:20:48

This is a follow-up. I was wrong again (this is getting old). /bin/csh
is ln to the /usr partition so this could kill you. I will stop while
I am ahead. Thanks for all the comments.

--

1. root "no shell" boo-boo

Subject: root "no shell" boo-boo

The scenario:

A friend has a brand new Sparc Station 5.  After a few hours of
installing Solaris from the CD-ROM, the first action while logged
in as root was to edit /etc/passwd and change root's shell from
/sbin/sh to /sbin/csh.  Oops.

Now, on login as root, the error message, "no shell" appears and
returns to the login prompt.

The problem, of course, is that csh is not in the /sbin directory.
No other logins were created.  Bummer.  What can they do to
fix this, besides installing the entire Solaris CD-ROM from
scratch?

2. Convert NIS passwd back to standard /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow

3. Root boo boo

4. gcc 2.7.0i -- Where is it?

5. Sol2.6 realloccg: fs full - is my FS boo-boo?

6. Buying a Dell Laptop, compatability feedback please

7. boo-boo follow-up

8. how does lpr spooler work with ipx printer?

9. Boo-boo in XFree86 1.3 linux binaries (Cirrus driver)

10. su, pam, Red Hat 7.0: I made a boo-boo

11. The server made a boo boo error, please help

12. Upgrade Boo Boo....

13. The Outlook problem, Re: "Boo hoo, I'm on the RBL" case studies