Getting started with UNIX?

Post by VU » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi to all,

I'm keen to get started using UNIX and a guy at my work suggested Solaris 7
to be as good a bet as any. I have to admit to being totally clueless about
UNIX and would very much appreciate any help in getting started.

Basically I'd like to know about:

1. how to obtain Solaris 7 (I live in the UK).
2. the most appropriate/user friendly version for running on an Intel
platform.
3. recommendations for books outlining the rudiments.
4 any good sites for beginners.

that's it

thanks very much

Terry

Getting started with UNIX?

Post by rob reynold » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

If your running on an intel machine then you may want to look into
using Linux. Its like unix.

Rob

>Hi to all,

>I'm keen to get started using UNIX and a guy at my work suggested Solaris 7
>to be as good a bet as any. I have to admit to being totally clueless about
>UNIX and would very much appreciate any help in getting started.

>Basically I'd like to know about:

>1. how to obtain Solaris 7 (I live in the UK).
>2. the most appropriate/user friendly version for running on an Intel
>platform.
>3. recommendations for books outlining the rudiments.
>4 any good sites for beginners.

>that's it

>thanks very much

>Terry

Getting started with UNIX?

Post by Rich Tee » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I'm keen to get started using UNIX and a guy at my work suggested Solaris 7
> to be as good a bet as any. I have to admit to being totally clueless about
> UNIX and would very much appreciate any help in getting started.

Solaris 7 will be an excellant choice!

Quote:> 1. how to obtain Solaris 7 (I live in the UK).

Go to www.sun.com; look for the free Solaris promotion.

Quote:> 2. the most appropriate/user friendly version for running on an Intel
> platform.

Well, there's only one (as Connor McCloud would say!), so that's the most
appropriate!  :-)

Quote:> 3. recommendations for books outlining the rudiments.

docs.sun.com has all the Sun documentation online.

Quote:> 4 any good sites for beginners.

www.sunhelp.org has quite a pointers to FAQs.  This newsgroup is a good
place to lurk too - but it's a good idea to skim through the FAQ before
posting questions.

--
Rich Teer

NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails - miserably.

The use of Windoze cripples the mind; its use should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence.  (With apologies to Edsger W. Dijkstra)

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Voice: +1 (250) 763-6205
WWW: www.rite-group.com

Getting started with UNIX?

Post by Volker Borche » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

|> 3. recommendations for books outlining the rudiments.

Look at O'Reilly's

"Learning the UNIX Operating System"
"Essential UNIX System Administration"

--

Getting started with UNIX?

Post by Neil » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>If your running on an intel machine then you may want to look into
>using Linux. Its like unix.

or free BSD

Getting started with UNIX?

Post by VU » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Many thanks to all who wrote back. Ahem, think I'll go and read the FAQ's...

Getting started with UNIX?

Post by Logan Sh » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>Basically I'd like to know about:

>3. recommendations for books outlining the rudiments.

_Unix_Shell_Programming_, by Kochan and Wood.

Personally, I think this is a great intro to lots of concepts that
you'll need to understand in order to use Unix effectively, and to
understand "the Unix philosophy".

  - Logan

Getting started with UNIX?

Post by James S. Cochran » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

My typical beginning reference to Unix is _Understanding Unix_ by
Stanley-Kelly Bootle.  Personally, I'd obtain a Linux variant to begin
with, current personal preference being RedHat (www.redhat.com), you can
download everything you need if you don't want to buy some distribution
CD's, although it'll chew up bandwidth and disk space.  Once you finish
_Understanding UNIX_, you can move on to Essential System
Administration, from O'Reilly and Associates.  Those two together (plus
a number of years of user experience) got me my first Unix admin job
(and the user experience alone didn't do it, too many behind the scenes
tasks/details I didn't know).  Once you've gotten that far, you will
probably want to start looking into shell programming, Perl, Expect, etc
:-)  Don't expect to know every detail of Unix administration, I've been
doing this for five years as an admin and five years as a user before
that, and still regularly find things I need to look up, or that I
really have to think about before doing.