Unix Printing

Post by Arthur Mer » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm not sure if I can do this, so perhaps someone can help me out.

From Unix, I want to print to the HP 5si behind my desk.  Now, the
printer is on the LAN and has an IP address, so how can I print to
this printer?

Or, do I need to install HP Jet Admin for Solaris?

Any help would be appreciated.......

Thanks,

Please send replies to e-mail.

Arthur

Unix Printing

Post by <i.. » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

You dont have to install jetadmin, but it makes it very easy if you do.
Otherwise, you can add the printer by using the lpadmin and/or lpsystem
commands and setting it up as a printer using BSD printing. The exact
commands vary depending on the version of solaris and the platform, but the
man pages should help.

>Hello,

>I'm not sure if I can do this, so perhaps someone can help me out.

>From Unix, I want to print to the HP 5si behind my desk.  Now, the
>printer is on the LAN and has an IP address, so how can I print to
>this printer?

>Or, do I need to install HP Jet Admin for Solaris?

>Any help would be appreciated.......

>Thanks,

>Please send replies to e-mail.

>Arthur

Unix Printing

Post by Unix Sys Adm » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I'm not sure if I can do this, so perhaps someone can help me out.

> From Unix, I want to print to the HP 5si behind my desk.  Now, the
> printer is on the LAN and has an IP address, so how can I print to
> this printer?

> Or, do I need to install HP Jet Admin for Solaris?

It will make your life much easier to install Jet Admin, 5 minutes and
you'll be ready.

> Any help would be appreciated.......

> Thanks,

> Please send replies to e-mail.

> Arthur

To send e-mail please remove the anti-spam and use:
my username: jlms
my mailbox sits in: geocities.com

Unix Printing

Post by Ian Zimmerma » Sat, 03 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>  I'm not sure if I can do this, so perhaps someone can help me out.
>  From Unix, I want to print to the HP 5si behind my desk.  Now, the
> printer is on the LAN and has an IP address, so how can I print to
> this printer?
>  Or, do I need to install HP Jet Admin for Solaris?

If your spooler is LPRng it is as simple as adding a line to
/etc/printcap.  Here's mine:

# /etc/printcap: printer capability database. See printcap(5).
# You can use the filter entries df, tf, cf, gf etc. for
# your own filters. See the printcap(5) manual page for further
# details.

rlp|Remote printer entry
         :lp=
         :rm=204.30.25.86
         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote
         :mx#0
         :sh

#lp|Generic dot-matrix printer entry
#        :lp=/dev/lp1
#        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
#        :af=/var/log/lp-acct
#        :lf=/var/log/lp-errs
#        :pl#66
#        :pw#80
#        :pc#150
#        :mx#0
#        :sh

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.

1. Unix Printing need help -- How do I print to a device

 We have a unix box used to have a serial printer attach to it.
 Users are printing by 'cat' their output to a device, like
 cat /dev/pts. Now we change the network.
 the printer is connected to a tcpip print server with an ip.
 Do lpr -Phost -dprinter filename, is okay, but we would
 like the users still print to a device, because that's the
 way the apps work.  Can anyone give me a hints how should I
 achive that. Thanks

|American Direct Mail(ADM) 350 Hudson Street, NY 11014   |

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. How to get others to connect to my web server if my ip addr is dynamic?

3. finger

4. Linux print client & SCO Unix print server

5. unix version/information

6. Printing italics, bold, underline to UNIX printing for Windows

7. Trouble with swatch and Solaris 2.4

8. PC to SCO Unix printing

9. Unix Printing

10. IBM mainframe to UNIX print spool