XFree86 3.3.6 on Solaris x86

Post by Jochen Landvoig » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 19:11:43

Hi!

I have a Voodoo3 card in my box. So I downloaded Xfree86 3.3.6
because it supports my card. I configured it like it is described
at http://www.zeta.org.au/~dsalton/solaris/top.html. When I restart my
Solaris8, it tries to start the X and then it prints to console that it
cannot start x on :0.
Does anyone know where the problem is?

Jochen
--
Jochen Landvoigt

http://www.landvoigt.com
ICQ #101774197

XFree86 3.3.6 on Solaris x86

Post by Flying Bea » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 19:41:27

> Hi!
> I have a Voodoo3 card in my box. So I downloaded Xfree86 3.3.6
> because it supports my card. I configured it like it is described
> at http://www.zeta.org.au/~dsalton/solaris/top.html. When I restart my
> Solaris8, it tries to start the X and then it prints to console that it
> cannot start x on :0.
> Does anyone know where the problem is?

        set up a DISPLAY environment variable before you start
        XFree86 3.3.6, for example (csh/tcsh):

        >setenv DISPLAY localhost:0.0
        >startx

        this forces X apps that come with Solaris to use TCP connection
        to communicate with X server.

        hope this helps

XFree86 3.3.6 on Solaris x86

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Tue, 02 Jan 2001 04:06:48

|I have a Voodoo3 card in my box. So I downloaded Xfree86 3.3.6
|because it supports my card. I configured it like it is described
|at http://www.zeta.org.au/~dsalton/solaris/top.html. When I restart my
|Solaris8, it tries to start the X and then it prints to console that it
|cannot start x on :0.
|Does anyone know where the problem is?

Make sure you have either downloaded a binary specifically compiled for
Solaris 8, or source that was patched for Solaris 8 - XFree86 3.3.x was
not compatible with Solaris 8 out of the box, and binaries built for
previous versions of Solaris won't work, since they used the
undocumented Virtual Terminal interface that was removed from S8.

If you're running the CDE login screen, check /var/dt/Xerrors for more
detailed error messages that may be more useful in tracking down the
problem.

1. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

We are trying to come up with a division-wide standard for workstations
(a mix of engineering applications as well as office-productivity apps).
We realize that we will always need high-end UNIX workstations for
visualization, CFD, CAE, etc....this standard is for the middle-of-the
road requirements.  The choice has boiled down to that specified in
the subject line.

Can anybody point me to web pages, ftp-sites, etc where I can find
info  (honest-to-god evaluations, opinions, reports, benchmark results)
on the above subject?

If you have experiences (maybe opinions as well) please let me know.  This
has the potential of quickly degenerating into a long UNIX-machine vs PC
battle (I'm a long time Sun fan)....BUT I'D LIKE TO FOCUS ON ISSUES LIKE
performance, capability, drawbacks, cost. etc.

Thanks,
Shash

| (817) 763-1495               Electronic Systems Design and Integration   |
| (817) 777-2115 (FAX)         Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems   |
|                              Lockheed Martin Boulevard, MZ 2273          |
|                              Fort Worth, TX 76108                        |

2. Anyone know a good bood on Suse Linux for Beginners?

3. Solaris x86 or not to Solaris x86?

4. IPX in Linux 1.3.56

5. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

6. Linux & Macintosh CD-ROMS?

7. Solaris x86 should use HLT instruction / was: Re: solaris x86 7 as guest?

8. Where can I get solaris.x86?

9. XFree86 2.1 for solaris x86 2.1

10. Cannot compile XFree86 servers on Solaris 7 x86

11. Xfree86 and broken fonts on Solaris 7 (x86)

12. Compiling XFree86 3.3.6 on Solaris 7 x86 fails

13. Solaris x86, XFree86, and NVidia GeForce 256