FYI: Sun Studio 10 compiler is provided free for OpenSolaris participants.

FYI: Sun Studio 10 compiler is provided free for OpenSolaris participants.

Post by Seongbae Par » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 07:24:55

My apology if you've already heard or read about this news.
For OpenSolaris participants, Sun Studio 10 compiler is free
and is available for download at:

http://opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/sun_studio_tools/

The license (http://opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/sun_studio_tools/sssent/)
explicitly allows:

    Permitted Use: Provided that You are a participant of the
    OpenSolaris community, You may use the software for Research and
    Instructional, Individual, and Commercial Use to design, develop,
    test, or otherwise engineer software.

Enjoy.
--
#pragma ident "Seongbae Park, compiler, http://blogs.sun.com/seongbae/"

Post by Marc » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 07:34:33

> My apology if you've already heard or read about this news.
> For OpenSolaris participants, Sun Studio 10 compiler is free
> and is available for download

Great :-)

Quote:>     Permitted Use: Provided that You are a participant of the
>     OpenSolaris community, You may use the software for Research and
>     Instructional, Individual, and Commercial Use to design, develop,
>     test, or otherwise engineer software.

What does being a member of the community mean?
What does the license forbid?

Post by Tao Che » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:45:12

>>My apology if you've already heard or read about this news.
>>For OpenSolaris participants, Sun Studio 10 compiler is free
>>and is available for download

> Great :-)

>>    Permitted Use: Provided that You are a participant of the
>>    OpenSolaris community, You may use the software for Research and
>>    Instructional, Individual, and Commercial Use to design, develop,
>>    test, or otherwise engineer software.

> What does being a member of the community mean?
> What does the license forbid?

I second these questions.

I can't find any link in the page:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/sun_studio_tools/

Don't see any "free" non-trial download here:
http://www.sun.com/download/products.xml?id=41e70b09

Did I miss anything?

Tao

Post by Seongbae Par » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:38:26

>>>My apology if you've already heard or read about this news.
>>>For OpenSolaris participants, Sun Studio 10 compiler is free
>>>and is available for download

>> Great :-)

>>>    Permitted Use: Provided that You are a participant of the
>>>    OpenSolaris community, You may use the software for Research and
>>>    Instructional, Individual, and Commercial Use to design, develop,
>>>    test, or otherwise engineer software.

>> What does being a member of the community mean?

Unfortunately, the license doesn't seem to define
what is "a participant of the OpenSolaris community".
I*and I don't pretend to play one either,
so you'll have to ask someone else.

However, now I see this page (I didn't see it before):

https://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/sun_studio_tools/faqs/

Quote:>> What does the license forbid?

See the FAQ above.
I believe the intention is to give the same right to those "participants"
as if you bought the product, possibly except for traditional support.

Quote:> I second these questions.

> I can't find any link in the page:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

I think the page has been changed since I posted
and the download links are gone now.
I hope someone will get this straightened out.

Quote:> Don't see any "free" non-trial download here:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Did I miss anything?

> Tao

I don't know what's going on either :(
However, what you get from the trial download
is a complete product which only requires a proper license key.
I don't know how you're supposed get hold of
a valid permarnent license key though.
--
#pragma ident "Seongbae Park, compiler, http://www.veryComputer.com/;

Post by Seongbae Par » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:59:31

> I can't find any link in the page:
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/sun_studio_tools/
..
> Don't see any "free" non-trial download here:
> http://www.sun.com/download/products.xml?id=41e70b09

> Did I miss anything?

> Tao

Never mind my previous post.
It seems that the link is back. In case it's not:

Option 1 "install image":
http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=8&PartDetailI...

Option 2 "product packages":
http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=8&PartDetailI...

(Both are long links so they may get mangled).

You'll need to register in Sun Download Center.
"Install image" already contains the license key,
and "product packages" doesn't, but download center
seems to send you an email as soon as you get to
the download page with links to actual files.
--

Post by Tao Che » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:00:10

>>I can't find any link in the page:
>>http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/sun_studio_tools/

> I think the page has been changed since I posted
> and the download links are gone now.
> I hope someone will get this straightened out.

>>Don't see any "free" non-trial download here:
>>http://www.sun.com/download/products.xml?id=41e70b09

>>Did I miss anything?

>>Tao

> I don't know what's going on either :(
> However, what you get from the trial download
> is a complete product which only requires a proper license key.
> I don't know how you're supposed get hold of
> a valid permarnent license key though.

Ok, at least it's not my eyes :-)
I've been sitting in front of the computer too long these days,
and all the new blogs today, just overwhelming.

Thanks,
Tao

Post by Tao Che » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:06:15

> Never mind my previous post.
> It seems that the link is back. In case it's not:

> Option 1 "install image":
> http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=8&PartDetailI...

> Option 2 "product packages":
> http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=8&PartDetailI...

> (Both are long links so they may get mangled).

> You'll need to register in Sun Download Center.
> "Install image" already contains the license key,
> and "product packages" doesn't, but download center
> seems to send you an email as soon as you get to
> the download page with links to actual files.

Thank you so much!

I still don't see the links in that page, however your URL took me to
the right place :) Downloading now ...

Tao

Post by Marc » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:13:37

>>> What does the license forbid?

> See the FAQ above.
> I believe the intention is to give the same right to those "participants"
> as if you bought the product, possibly except for traditional support.

The question was more like: do you still intend to sell any licenses for
this compiler, or only support? Because it sounds to me like what with
solaris being based on opensolaris, every solaris user is a member of the
community, and the license allows everything. And if you don't sell it
anymore, do you intend to opensource it as well?

Starting to wonder where the money for all that will come from...

FYI: Sun Studio 10 compiler is provided free for OpenSolaris participants.

Post by Seongbae Par » Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:11:24

Quote:> The question was more like: do you still intend to sell any licenses for
> this compiler, or only support?

> Because it sounds to me like what with
> solaris being based on opensolaris, every solaris user is a member of the
> community, and the license allows everything. And if you don't sell it
> anymore, do you intend to opensource it as well?

> Starting to wonder where the money for all that will come from...

You'd better ask Sun representative or real decision makers.
Thankfully I'm not one of them.
Why don't you ask exactly the same question for making Solaris 10 free ?
I don't think I've heard any complaint (neither from customer
or stock analysts) on that one...
--

Post by Marc » Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:26:16

> I don't think I've heard any complaint (neither from customer
> or stock analysts) on that one...

Just to make sure I was not too misunderstood:
I am not complaining, and I am very happy of the number of things Sun is
giving me for free!

FYI: Sun Studio 10 compiler is provided free for OpenSolaris participants.

Post by John D Groenve » Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:38:36

Quote:>I don't think I've heard any complaint (neither from customer
>or stock analysts) on that one...

Are you sure? Perhaps we're not listening to the same conference
calls and visits by Steve McGowan and company to Wall Street, but
I'm fairly certain I've heard repeated analyst complaints about
large amounts of investor's money Management spends on R&D and
dissappointing revenue.

The follow-up question is often like this: "when are you going to
reduce your headcount" which occasionally results in answers months
later by Steve McGowan and company in the form of RIFs of Solaris
innovators.

John

Post by Seongbae Par » Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:53:35

>>I don't think I've heard any complaint (neither from customer
>>or stock analysts) on that one...

> Are you sure? Perhaps we're not listening to the same conference
> calls and visits by Steve McGowan and company to Wall Street, but
> I'm fairly certain I've heard repeated analyst complaints about
> large amounts of investor's money Management spends on R&D and
> dissappointing revenue.

IIRC, I don't think any of them were specific to opensourcing Solaris.
Opensourcing Solaris doesn't directly affect R&D spending.
--
#pragma ident "Seongbae Park, compiler, http://blogs.sun.com/seongbae/"

FYI: Sun Studio 10 compiler is provided free for OpenSolaris participants.

Post by John D Groenve » Wed, 22 Jun 2005 03:29:52

Quote:>IIRC, I don't think any of them were specific to opensourcing Solaris.

Jonathan Schwartz seems to be aware of some sort of correlation
but I also don't recall analysts being specific about which R&D
they would like to see cuts.
<URL:http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/jonathan/20050616#sharing>
| Now, I've heard from a few stockholders saying, "What? Sharing? Free
| Software? What's up with that! Go make some money!" And so I thought
| I'd put down, once and for all, why we're committed to sharing, to
| open source, open standards, and eradicating the digital divide.
| Ready?
|
| Because we're going to make more money.

Quote:>Opensourcing Solaris doesn't directly affect R&D spending.

Sales and Marketing?

John

1. Sun Studio 10 for OpenSolaris - free or not?

I see that Sun offers "Sun Studio 10 for OpenSolaris" -- whatever the
"for OpenSolaris" part means.

What I'd like to know is, are the compilers now permanently free for
personal/educational/research use, or is it still 45/60/90 days trial?

It says on the page that you get the license mailed to you when you
register, but I'm already a registered user. So what about folks like
me, how do I get a free/unlimited license if there is one to be had???

2. ** getuid() - Help!! **

3. opensolaris-discuss-subscribe@opensolaris.org <opensolaris-discuss-subscribe@opensolaris.org>

4. Fast etherchannel

5. Updated: Get the latest Sun Studio Tools for OpenSolaris!

6. Batch SMTP and Qmail

7. Are sun studio C/C++ compilers and Forte C/C++ compilers same ??

8. Waiting on two threads

9. studio 10 compiler question

10. Studio 10 compilers for Solaris released

11. precompiled headers and Sun Studio 10...

12. Does Sun CC 5.8 in Solaris 10 for x86 provide the options like -xmemalign?

13. mis-spelling in man page, Solaris 10 b72 (amd64), Studio 10 b21