Solaris x86 Compatibility

Post by Bob Palowo » Sun, 12 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> > I have been reading over Sun's HCL and notice that it is lacking in some of
> > the new laptops on the market and was wondering if anyone else has any

>   I have 2.6 x85 on a toshiba 730 CDT with no problems, except that
> Solaris doesn't have cardbus support. When I called to ask about that,
> I was told that they will no longer be developing laptop drivers:

>  > Thank you for your request for driver support.  Unfortunately, Engineering has
>  > informed us that there will be no further driver development for notebook
>  > computers.

>  > Further infomation will be available shortly on access1.sun.com explaining the
>  > suspension of laptop support.

>  > Thank you,
>  > Sun Microsystems Technical Support

> This, after I jsut paid for my subscription...

Hmm this is quite old news.  What does "shortly" really mean?
Heck what does "suspension" mean?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda          | The Solaris x86 Corner

1. VLB vs. soundcard SCSI controllers (Solaris x86 compatibility)

Greetings, folks.  Any input you might have is much appreciated.
Here's my situation:

 486DX266 w/VLB, 16M memory, 250MB IDE drive, Genoa SVGA (on the VLB),
 and a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 soundcard (with a SCSI controller built-in).

 I just ordered Solaris2.1, and will need to purchase a CD-ROM drive
 to install it.  I looked through the current HW compatibility list,
 and Sun says they've only tested ISA SCSI controllers. Since I've got
 a slot free on my Vesa local bus, I'd prefer to pick up a VLB SCSI
 controller.  Another alternative would be to try to load the OS
 via the (untested) SCSI controller on my soundcard...

 So, my questions are:

 Does anyone know if Solaris will support a VLB SCSI controller?
 If so, which ones?

 Does anyone know if I can use the SCSI controller on my soundcard
 to (at least) load the software from the Solaris CDs?

 Got any other ideas?

   Thanks, -Walendo

--

    "They're taking all the fun out of violence." - Carl Hiaasen

2. A really dumb question....please help me.

3. Solaris x86 Compatibility

4. 132x50 possible instead of 80x24???

5. Solaris X86 compatibility?

6. Type Checking With Yacc

7. Solaris x86 Tape Drive Compatibility?

8. Linux site with 100's of links

9. X86 Solaris ELF compatibility with Linux ELF

10. hardware compatibility list for x86 Solaris

11. Solaris x86 Laptop compatibility

12. Solaris x86 hardware compatibility issues

13. ATA DMA and SCSI compatibility for Solaris x86