Performance Issues on Sun Solaris 64-bit vs. 32-bit

Performance Issues on Sun Solaris 64-bit vs. 32-bit

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 04:09:22

Quote:> Hi All,

> This is regarding the Performance of our application on Sun Solaris.
> We have a 32-bit application that was running on Sun Solaris. We
> needed to port it to 64-bit which we did successfully.

> Now the catch is that the 64-bit application is SLOWER than the 32-bit
> version. First of all, is this natural to have happened this way? If
> not so, then can anybody tell what might be the possible reasons for
> this to have happened?

> And last but certainly not the least; how can we improve upon this?

Does it do any munmap() calls?  Kernel patch 108528-14 and beyond
(latest is -18) are supposed to address bugids that may have to do
with that (esp. 4494153).

Followups set to comp.unix.solaris.

--

1. Performance Issues on Sun Solaris 64-bit vs. 32-bit

Hi All,

This is regarding the Performance of our application on Sun Solaris.
We have a 32-bit application that was running on Sun Solaris. We
needed to port it to 64-bit which we did successfully.

Now the catch is that the 64-bit application is SLOWER than the 32-bit
version. First of all, is this natural to have happened this way? If
not so, then can anybody tell what might be the possible reasons for
this to have happened?

And last but certainly not the least; how can we improve upon this?

Thanks,
ASG

PS:- Plz let me know if you have any doubts or if something is not
clear!

2. PD KSH weirdness under Linux?

3. Solaris 2.x :- How to tell if & configure 64-bit vs 32-bit

4. virtusertable problems

5. 64-bit Solaris 7: wasn't Solaris 2.6 also 32-bit?

6. slow GNOME startup, "MIT-COOKIE" rejection: fix?

7. performance of runing 32/64 bit program in 64 bit kernel.

8. CDROM Burner

9. SBus-based drivers (32-bit vs 64-bit Solais Kernels)

10. Detecting 32-bit vs. 64-bit

11. 64-bit kernel vs. 32-bit kernel

12. 64-bit vs 32-bit JDK installed

13. code to determine 64-bit vs 32-bit binaries?