BIND 9 Server returns Served By (root hint list) when queried with nslookup

BIND 9 Server returns Served By (root hint list) when queried with nslookup

Post by Stev » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:57:09

When I run nslookup on my BIND 9 server and type any external
(internet) DNS name it scrolls the list of Root Servers with a served
by: at the top.  Any ideas why?  (Server has a route out to the
internet) Shouldn't it just go and query those those servers and
return the answer?  When I do the same to my MS root DNS server it
returns the correct answer......

Post by Barry Margoli » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 04:08:34

>When I run nslookup on my BIND 9 server and type any external
>(internet) DNS name it scrolls the list of Root Servers with a served
>by: at the top.  Any ideas why?  (Server has a route out to the
>internet) Shouldn't it just go and query those those servers and
>return the answer?  When I do the same to my MS root DNS server it
>returns the correct answer......

Maybe you've disabled recursion on your BIND server, i.e.

options {
 recursion no;

Quote:};

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA

1. Can BIND 9 utilize a HINTS file to create fake ROOT DNS server

Working on a project to create a FAKE root server utilizing BIND 9.

I have created a HINTS file which instead of having the master ROOT
domain servers listed, it has several TOP level .COM, and .ORG domains
listed.  These are actually INTERNAL .com and .org domains.

I have also set resolver to forward to outbound firewall DNS process
for name resolution.

Problem:   Seems like the HINTS file is overlooked during boot.  It
doesnt error out, but it also doesnt query the authoritative Internal
DNS servers for these private .COM and .ORG domains.

Question:    Any hints in using hints?   Does the use of a forward
statement spoil the utilization of HINTS files during startup?  I.e.
They are mutually exclusive?

2. Compaq SystemPro LT with Fast SCSI-2

3. Mail server setup (the nslookup mx query)

4. Bridging Question (2.0.33)

5. NIS Setup Help: "Can't bind to server which serves this domain"

6. udp ECONNREFUSED

7. The return of the return of crunch time (2.5 merge candidate list 1.6)

8. Linux driver for Riva 128

9. NIS+: Non-root servers in serving sub-domain

10. server bind() to a known port returns EPROTO on Solaris 2.5 - why?

11. how to disable nslookup query coming from the outside world?

12. nslookup returns core dump

13. BIND 9.2.1 NSLOOKUP Problem