SCO Unixware 7 vs. Solaris X86

Post by Shane Y. Gibso » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

>   Can anyone comment(as objectively as possible) on the relative
> merits/disadvantages of SCO Unixware 7 and Solaris X86 for business-critical
> systems?  The company I work for plans to migrate from SCO OpenServer 5 to a
> new OS in the near future, and we are most seriously considering Unixware 7
> and Solaris x86.  (We are married to Unix on Intel-based machines.)  We have
> already checked that most of the hardware we need on our systems is
> compatible with both OS's, so this is not really an issue.  Basically, we are
> interested in knowing about stability, performance, price (we are a VAR),
> ease of system administration, and the future viability of each platform.
> All information and impressions are welcome.  Thanks.

Cary,

I can't speak to any direct comparisons of the two, as I've
never run Solaris X86; and I'm a relatively devoted follower
of the SCO OpenServer and SCO UnixWare 7 lines...

There is an article that SCO published, regarding performance
of UnixWare 7 vs Solaris X86.  Of course it's a marketing
thing, and they don't directly mention that they were running
Solaris X86, but the AIM tests were made on a Compaq Dual
PII 400 machine, inferring that the Solaris platform was
Solaris X86.

UW7 outperformed Solaris X86 by almost 3 times.  The article
can be read at:

        http://www.sco.com./press/releases/1998/6822.html

Hope that helps some...

v/r
Shane

         "We need to understand that man belongs to Earth;
                and not that Earth belongs to man."

Post by Joerg Schilli » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>>   Can anyone comment(as objectively as possible) on the relative
>> merits/disadvantages of SCO Unixware 7 and Solaris X86 for business-critical
>> systems?  The company I work for plans to migrate from SCO OpenServer 5 to a
>> new OS in the near future, and we are most seriously considering Unixware 7
>> and Solaris x86.  (We are married to Unix on Intel-based machines.)  We have
>> already checked that most of the hardware we need on our systems is
>> compatible with both OS's, so this is not really an issue.  Basically, we are
>> interested in knowing about stability, performance, price (we are a VAR),
>> ease of system administration, and the future viability of each platform.
>> All information and impressions are welcome.  Thanks.
>Cary,

>I can't speak to any direct comparisons of the two, as I've
>never run Solaris X86; and I'm a relatively devoted follower
>of the SCO OpenServer and SCO UnixWare 7 lines...

I never really run SCO on a machine. The only machine I could get hold of
was on a very slow network so I had to stop trying to use if for
porting issues.

SCO states that they are the market leader on x86 UNIX systems. I cannot
believe that. I am the Author of a freeware program for CD recording.
Cdrecord has at least 200000 users but as it is bundled with all Linux
distributions it may even be 1000000. So far, I only got 5 requests for
a SCO port while I usually get 1/10th of my mail related to Solaris.
SCO rejects to give me a free installation CD when I asked them at CeBIT.

If there are really that many SCO users where are they?

Quote:>There is an article that SCO published, regarding performance
>of UnixWare 7 vs Solaris X86.  Of course it's a marketing
>thing, and they don't directly mention that they were running
>Solaris X86, but the AIM tests were made on a Compaq Dual
>PII 400 machine, inferring that the Solaris platform was
>Solaris X86.

>UW7 outperformed Solaris X86 by almost 3 times.  The article
>can be read at:

>    http://www.sco.com./press/releases/1998/6822.html

Don't believe Benchmarks that don't give you the exact testing method
and complete test results.

I give you an example:

There are benchmarks that state Linux to be faster than Solaris x86.

My expericnce is that for my every day work, Solaris x86 is twice as fast
as Linux running on the same hardware.

If you want a result that is applicable for your envirenment, you have
to test your environment on both OS.

Joerg

P.S. The article on the SCO page mentiones Siemens systems.
        Why does Siemens moves to Solaris instead of SCO?
--

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> SCO states that they are the market leader on x86 UNIX systems. I cannot
> believe that. I am the Author of a freeware program for CD recording.
> Cdrecord has at least 200000 users but as it is bundled with all Linux
> distributions it may even be 1000000. So far, I only got 5 requests for
> a SCO port while I usually get 1/10th of my mail related to Solaris.
> SCO rejects to give me a free installation CD when I asked them at CeBIT.

> If there are really that many SCO users where are they?

Everywhere.  You can't throw a rock in any U.S. city without hitting a
SCO system.

OK, that's a little exaggerated.  But they *are* everywhere, though
most of them don't even know they are running Unix- many
of them think they are running something called "Wyse" or
"Link" :-).  They aren't computer geeks, they don't read newsgroups,
most of them would have zero interest in a CD recording program
and couldn't imagine why you'd want to put that on their
accounting system!

The CD is $20.00.  NBD.

--

SCO ACE
SCO articles, help, book reviews: http://www.aplawrence.com

Post by Mike Hopkirk(ho » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>SCO states that they are the market leader on x86 UNIX systems. I cannot
>believe that.

Thats the funny thing about truth - it doesn't require belief, it just is ...
(:-)

Quote:>I am the Author of a freeware program for CD recording.
>Cdrecord has at least 200000 users but as it is bundled with all Linux
>distributions it may even be 1000000. So far, I only got 5 requests for
>a SCO port

Heres #6.

Quote:> while I usually get 1/10th of my mail related to Solaris.

for ports ?

Quote:>SCO rejects to give me a free installation CD when I asked them at CeBIT.

So,  fill in the form at
   http://www.sco.com/offers
for a Free Unix CD... cost you $20 for the media

some software

Sign up for the developer program (its free) and mention you want to do a port

Quote:>If there are really that many SCO users where are they?

Retail, Telco, SMB, Replicated sites .... not your usual Techno Unix
workstation folken

(and it looks like they don't care about CD recording )

Quote:>P.S. The article on the SCO page mentiones Siemens systems.
>    Why does Siemens moves to Solaris instead of SCO?

Who knows - ask them..
--
- hops

Everything disclaimed (including disclaimer)

Mike Hopkirk ( hops )  |       Whenever possible steal code.
SCO Inc                |          Tom Duff. (ex) Bell Labs

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>>SCO states that they are the market leader on x86 UNIX systems. I cannot
>>believe that.

>Thats the funny thing about truth - it doesn't require belief, it just is ...
>(:-)
>>If there are really that many SCO users where are they?

>Retail, Telco, SMB, Replicated sites .... not your usual Techno Unix
>workstation folken

Right. In other words, enbedded systems. Some people don't count those
numbers. And if you discount those installations, I don't think SCO comes out
ahead :->

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

Post by Jay T » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> >>SCO states that they are the market leader on x86 UNIX systems. I cannot
> >>believe that.

> >Thats the funny thing about truth - it doesn't require belief, it just is ...
> >(:-)
> >>If there are really that many SCO users where are they?

> >Retail, Telco, SMB, Replicated sites .... not your usual Techno Unix
> >workstation folken

> Right. In other words, enbedded systems. Some people don't count those
> numbers.

I wouldn't call them "embedded" systems - more like point of sales
systems.  For example, Radio Shack used Xenix in each of its stores, and
maybe still does.  Also consider businesses such as fast-food
restaurants and motel chains.  A lot of them use SCO.  And then there
are construction companies, dentist and doctor's offices, other health
care providers, manufacturing and trucking companies ... the list goes
on.  Why not count them?

- Jay Ts

--
Click on http://www.kachina.net/~jay to find out about
Linux Consulting, Web Design and Programming Services.

To be o' not t'be, dat be de bottom line.  What it is, Mama!
        - output of 'fortune | jive'

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>>>SCO states that they are the market leader on x86 UNIX systems. I
>>>cannot believe that.
>>Thats the funny thing about truth - it doesn't require belief, it
>>just is ... (:-)
>>>If there are really that many SCO users where are they?
>>Retail, Telco, SMB, Replicated sites .... not your usual Techno Unix
>>workstation folken
>Right. In other words, enbedded systems. Some people don't count
>those numbers. And if you discount those installations, I don't
>think SCO comes out ahead :->

One that comes immediately to mind is QNX.  (prounounced cue-nix),
which used to advertise in the trades years ago as a real-time Unix
like operating system.

I stopped by their booth last year at a trade show and everything
there was consumer electronics under control of their system - from
Satellite TV receivers, TV sets, audio, ...

Probably No OS comes out ahead if you count imbedded systems. That
inlcudes the plethora of products from MS. Look at the total number
of automobiles on the road running on imbedded systems.

--

Post by Joerg Schilli » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> I give you an example:

>> There are benchmarks that state Linux to be faster than Solaris x86.

>> My expericnce is that for my every day work, Solaris x86 is twice as fast
>> as Linux running on the same hardware.

>> If you want a result that is applicable for your envirenment, you have
>> to test your environment on both OS.

>> Joerg

>> P.S. The article on the SCO page mentiones Siemens systems.
>>        Why does Siemens moves to Solaris instead of SCO?

>  Disagree. Look at:
>    http://www.siemens.de/servers/primergy/prim_us/prsof_us.htm
> SunSoft Solaris - only "Other certified UNIX operating system".

This is only PC hardware where Siemens did not use their own OS.

Look at: http://www.siemens.de/servers/rm/rm_us.htm

The RM System did use a mixture os Sienix and Pyramid OS called "reliant"
This will be replaced by Solaris when Siemens moves to Merced.

Joerg
--

SCO Unixware 7 vs. Solaris X86

Post by Joerg Schilli » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>>SCO states that they are the market leader on x86 UNIX systems. I cannot
>>believe that.

>Thats the funny thing about truth - it doesn't require belief, it just is ...
>(:-)

>>I am the Author of a freeware program for CD recording.
>>Cdrecord has at least 200000 users but as it is bundled with all Linux
>>distributions it may even be 1000000. So far, I only got 5 requests for
>>a SCO port

>Heres #6.

I just got a mail from someone at SCO.... it seems that I will get a free copy.
SCO then may become #14 in my SCSI transport implementations.

Cdrecord currently supports:

SunOS 4.x / SunOS 5.x (Solaris 2.x)
Linux SCSI/ATAPI
Linux PP
SGI IRIX
HP-UX
IBM AIX
NetBSD/FreeBSD/OpenBSD
FreeBSD/CAM
BSDi (BSD/OS)
Next STEP / Apple Rhapsody
OSF/1

OS/2 will be ready soon ;-)

Quote:>>If there are really that many SCO users where are they?

>Retail, Telco, SMB, Replicated sites .... not your usual Techno Unix
>workstation folken

>(and it looks like they don't care about CD recording )

This is what I had in mind, but then SCO states that thy are #1 in the
UNIX servermarket too...

Joerg
--

Post by Jay T » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> [...] but then SCO states that thy are #1 in the UNIX servermarket too...

If they are #1, it certainly isn't in terms of numbers of *internet*
servers.  According to the latest Internet Operating System Counter
results, at

http://www.hzo.cubenet.de/ioscount/

Linux is #1 in ftp, web and news servers.  SCO is way down near the
bottom, at 0.4-0.5%.

Maybe "#1" is referring to subjective criteria. ;-)

- Jay Ts

--

Post by Joerg Schilli » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> [...] but then SCO states that thy are #1 in the UNIX servermarket too...

>If they are #1, it certainly isn't in terms of numbers of *internet*
>servers.  According to the latest Internet Operating System Counter
>results, at

>http://www.hzo.cubenet.de/ioscount/

>Linux is #1 in ftp, web and news servers.  SCO is way down near the
>bottom, at 0.4-0.5%.

The numbers seem to be roughly related to the amount of mail related
to cdrecord that I get. I assume that they could be uses as a rough
estimation on desktop systems. But I am not sure if *BSD system are really
150% compared to Solaris systems.

If they are correct, I would assume that that Solaris is #1 in stability.
The number of news servers run by Solaris is much higher than the number
of ftp / www servers compared to other OS.

However, I am sure that they would be different if they would reflect the
size of a WWW server too. Netscape runs Solaris... as far as I know.

Joerg