Help with tip

Post by rdm » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 01:05:57

I have 2 solaris 2.6 boxes, both connected by a serial cable : one to
port b( the 'tip from box) the other to port a (obviously the tip to). I
can not seem to get tip working at all - i get the 'connected' message,
then nothing until i escape out. Any thoughts? My /etc/remote entry
looks like this :
hardwire:\
        :dv=/dev/term/b:br#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:

I have tried using /dev/cua/b with no luck either.

Thanks in advance,
Rhuel.

Help with tip

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 09:52:01

> I have 2 solaris 2.6 boxes, both connected by a serial cable : one to
> port b( the 'tip from box) the other to port a (obviously the tip to). I
> can not seem to get tip working at all - i get the 'connected' message,
> then nothing until i escape out. Any thoughts? My /etc/remote entry
> looks like this :
> hardwire:\
>         :dv=/dev/term/b:br#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:

> I have tried using /dev/cua/b with no luck either.

Are you using a NULL modem cable?

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Help with tip

Post by Greg Andre » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 21:03:39

>I have 2 solaris 2.6 boxes, both connected by a serial cable : one to
>port b( the 'tip from box) the other to port a (obviously the tip to). I
>can not seem to get tip working at all - i get the 'connected' message,
>then nothing until i escape out. Any thoughts? My /etc/remote entry
>looks like this :
>hardwire:\
>        :dv=/dev/term/b:br#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:

>I have tried using /dev/cua/b with no luck either.

First, the cable must have null-modem wiring.  That's the RS232
equivalent of an ethernet "crossover" cable, if you're familiar
with that sort of thing.

Second, the other Solaris 2.6 box must be running a login service
on its port A.  Does that box have a Sun keyboard and monitor plugged
in?

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

Help with tip

Post by Andy Lennar » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 21:36:57

>>I have 2 solaris 2.6 boxes, both connected by a serial cable : one to
>>port b( the 'tip from box) the other to port a (obviously the tip to). I
>>can not seem to get tip working at all - i get the 'connected' message,
>>then nothing until i escape out. Any thoughts? My /etc/remote entry
>>looks like this :
>>hardwire:\
>>        :dv=/dev/term/b:br#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:

>>I have tried using /dev/cua/b with no luck either.

>First, the cable must have null-modem wiring.  That's the RS232
>equivalent of an ethernet "crossover" cable, if you're familiar
>with that sort of thing.

>Second, the other Solaris 2.6 box must be running a login service
>on its port A.  Does that box have a Sun keyboard and monitor plugged
>in?

>  -Greg

Here's an example null-modem cable wiring plan..

http://ftp.digi.com/support/techsupport/common/cables/async/PC_term_d...
db25f

And only when DCD is asserted on your port A will you get a login prompt. I
don't know whether tip will do this for you.

Help with tip

Post by Michael Schloh von Bennewit » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 22:30:29

I know how to run a login service on the standard TCP port 513. How on
earth do I run such a service on a serial port? I have a x86 box with
two serial ports wired into the motherboard (as usual) and controlled by
the BIOS.

Michael

--
Spam hack: To send me email, remove the '-' in my address

> First, the cable must have null-modem wiring.  That's the RS232
> equivalent of an ethernet "crossover" cable, if you're familiar
> with that sort of thing.

> Second, the other Solaris 2.6 box must be running a login service
> on its port A.  Does that box have a Sun keyboard and monitor plugged
> in?

>   -Greg

Help with tip

Post by Greg Andre » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 02:08:04

>>First, the cable must have null-modem wiring.  That's the RS232
>>equivalent of an ethernet "crossover" cable, if you're familiar
>>with that sort of thing.

>>Second, the other Solaris 2.6 box must be running a login service
>>on its port A.  Does that box have a Sun keyboard and monitor plugged
>>in?

>Here's an example null-modem cable wiring plan..

>http://ftp.digi.com/support/techsupport/common/cables/async/PC_term_d...
>db25f

That's an excellent diagram.  (the URL ends in ".htm", though)

Quote:

>And only when DCD is asserted on your port A will you get a login prompt. I
>don't know whether tip will do this for you.

That's not true in most cases.  If the other machine is using its port
A as the console port, it won't wait for DCD to be asserted.  Or, if
the other machine is using port A as an ordinary serial port, but the
login service is the "Terminal - Hardwired" type, it won't wait for
DCD to be asserted.

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

Help with tip

Post by Greg Andre » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 02:28:50

Quote:

>I know how to run a login service on the standard TCP port 513.

You're thinking of a different "login service" than I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the ttymon daemon that's controlled by of the sac
daemon.  You are probably thinking of the telnetd daemon that's controlled
by the inetd daemon (but that's port 23 rather than 513).

Quote:

>How on earth do I run such a service on a serial port?

Run Admintool.

Select Browse->Serial Ports

Click once on the "a" or the "b" line to highlight it.
(pick the line that corresponds to the port you want to
run the login service on:  A or B)

Select Edit->Modify

Click on the Template button.  If you're connecting a modem to the
port, select the "Modem - Bidirectional" template.  Otherwise, if
you're connecting a terminal (or another computer pretending to be
a terminal), select the "Terminal - Hardwired" template.

Click on the Baud Rate button and select the speed that Solaris
should use on the serial port when listening for someone to log in.

Click in the Terminal type text box and type the name of the terminal
you'll be using when you log in.  "vt100" is the most commonly used
type of terminal.

Then click on the OK button.  Do not click the Apply button.
Do not change anything else.

Those steps will start the login service running on the serial port.

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

1. Help with `Tip` dialing phone numbers

We've been using `cu` and `kermit` quite a bit to dial in to customer sites.
I've recently been lured to tip because of it's rich local/remote
relationship.
I can connect to a modem and manually dial {ATDT etc.} but I am having a
terrible time using the `pn` variable from /etc/remotes.  I get an error
stating something to the effect of ` cannot sync with modem` after an
AT string appears on the screen.

After many hours in the man pages I'm at wits end.
Can anyone offer any suggestions?

(Solaris 2.3:Sparc 10:penril v.32 modem)

THANX in advance

DRAGNFLY

2. OS News

3. Help on Tip and data transfer

4. ERR_READ_TIMEOUT with squid and dialup

5. Help using Tip or cu please

6. ISDN TA/ URS or Motorola?

7. Tips for tip

8. Canadian Health Deteriorates without Linux

9. TIPS FOR HEALTHY AND BEAUTY TIPS

10. Need a tip for tip

11. Tip -no not tips and tricks!

12. Need Help With "tip"

13. USR modem and tip, Need help in setting