Creating bootable solaris CD-ROM with extra packages

Creating bootable solaris CD-ROM with extra packages

Post by Larry Williams » Wed, 13 Mar 1996 04:00:00

We would like to be able to create a bootable solaris cdrom with a
number of additional (ours) packages on it.

This is for a field service guy to run around the country installing
upgrades on a number of machines.

I have a pretty good idea of the layout of a bootable cdrom, but there
are some details that I am not clear on.

1. To be able to boot, Sun CD-ROM drives must be able to handle 512
byte sectors. So I would assume that the cdrom I create must use 512
byte sectors. Is it true that only the boot track must be 512 byte
sectors, or is the entire solaris cd 512 byte sectors?

2. Which cd *writers* support these 512 byte sectors?

3. How are the separate filesystems on the cd created? Are they
separate sessions? something else?

4. Assuming we do this by duplicating solaris cd's we have
legitimately bought, should we expect to be visited by some big *
Sun lawyers? (or worse -- small, * Sun lawyers?)

Kind regards,

Larry

Post by Joerg Schilli » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>We would like to be able to create a bootable solaris cdrom with a
>number of additional (ours) packages on it.

>This is for a field service guy to run around the country installing
>upgrades on a number of machines.

>I have a pretty good idea of the layout of a bootable cdrom, but there
>are some details that I am not clear on.

>1. To be able to boot, Sun CD-ROM drives must be able to handle 512
>byte sectors. So I would assume that the cdrom I create must use 512
>byte sectors. Is it true that only the boot track must be 512 byte
>sectors, or is the entire solaris cd 512 byte sectors?

CD's always have 2048 bytes sector size.
You can have CD-ROM drives that deblock these sectors to 512 Bytes.

Quote:>2. Which cd *writers* support these 512 byte sectors?

You don't need them (see above)

Quote:>3. How are the separate filesystems on the cd created? Are they
>separate sessions? something else?

A booteable CD is an image of a hard disk with a partition table
(at least on sparc's). You can simulate the CD by making such a disk
and setting it to SCSI id 6.

Quote:>4. Assuming we do this by duplicating solaris cd's we have
>legitimately bought, should we expect to be visited by some big *
>Sun lawyers? (or worse -- small, * Sun lawyers?)

I don't kow sorry

Joerg

1. Creating a bootable CD-ROM ?

Can someone point me at an up-to-date and accurate HOWTO for
creating  a bootable CD-ROM , using a bzImage which will boot
if dd'd to floppy (with of course  root partition set via rdev).

This is the same bzImage which LILO boots my machine, incidentally.

(And yes, I've Google-whacked this topic with every possible combination
of CDROM/LINUX/BOOT/CDROM/ and, surprisingly, get any advice which actually
worked. Or is it me , hmmm ...  :)

I've tried creating a CD-bootable image using mkisofs, and then
writing it to CD via cdrecord, but the bootup fails (the booting
messge of continuous dots soon turns into lines
of Pc register contents , e.g. "AX=1212 etc)

Ill skip the boring details of mkisofs / cdrecord dialogues for now,
pending some kind soul's explanation.

- Gary

2. Programmable Dot-Clock on Stealth64 ?

3. How to create HFS bootable CD-ROM ?

4. Changing Sol7 (graphic) greeting Screen...

5. Bootable floppy different than bootable CD ROM for installation of RH 8.0?

6. Info sought about file systems

7. CD-ROM Drive Errors w/ Debian Installation - Bootable CD Problem?

8. tftp on Linux

9. Help: Creating CD-Rom on Solaris.

10. Create a bootable cd on Sparc Solaris 8 - VTOC is a mess !!!

11. How to create bootable CDs of Solaris 8

12. Creating bootable install CD's of Solaris 8 x86

13. Procedure for creating bootable solaris CD